Based in Madrid, Alvaro has helped clients on corporate deals for three decades with particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, restructuring and reorganisation, corporate governance, commercial contracts and private equity.
He works with the world's leading corporates, banks, investment banks and private equity firms on domestic and cross-border transactions across several sectors.
Alvaro´s experience includes advising:
- Patentes Talgo on i) the €130 million refinancing of its debt granted upon its acquisition by Trilantic and MCH; ii) the restructuring of the shareholding of its controlling fund; iii) its IPO for an amount of €1.3 billion, with JP Morgan, Nomura and Santander as joint global coordinators
- Rendelsur on the merger of Coca-Cola's bottlers companies in Spain
- IDCSalud, a healthcare group owned by the British private equity firm CVC Capital Partners and the managers, on its acquisition of 100% of Clínica Ruber and the Ruber Internacional Hospital in Madrid (Grupo Ruber), for a deal value of €110 million
- Jaime Gilinski, owner of the Gilinski Group, i) via Itos Holding on the €275 million acquisition of a 5% stake in Banco Sabadell, a Spanish listed bank, via an Accelerate Bookbuilt Offering; ii) on the sale of the 3% of Sabadell through a block trade
- Iberdrola in different corporate deals in Spain and United Kingdom
- Trilantic Capital Partners in several acquisitions
Publications and Accolades
Alvaro is considered to be one of the top corporate and M&A lawyers according to Chambers Europe and Legal 500 who have ranked him in Band 2 since 2007. He has also been listed in Best Lawyers since 2008 for Corporate/M&A.
These legal guides quote clients saying Alvaro "has real gift for solving problems, however complex they may be", "is well connected, has a fantastic reputation and inspires real confidence", and is "one of the best legal advisers I've seen; he's very commercial and knowledgeable, and has a lot of experience".
Alvaro has contributed to several publications and articles including:
- "‘Brexit’ would have negative impact on Spanish economy", Iberian lawyer, April 2016
- "Rollover de accionistas y directivos a raíz de la transmisión de participación entre dos fondos del mismo grupo", Práctica Mercantil para Abogados / coord. por Vicente Conde and Paula de Biase, 2013
- "Inversión de dos socios financieros en un grupo empresarial español a través de la adquisición de la sociedad matriz cotizada en la Bolsa de Nueva York", Anuario Mercantil para abogados 2010: Los casos más relevantes en 2009 de los grandes despachos, coord. por Ricardo Alonso Soto, Fernando de las Cuevas Castresana, Ángel García Vidal, 2010
- "The Big Question: Searching for International opportunities?", Iberian Lawyer, 2010
- "Still not biting – fishing for deals across Iberian", Iberian Lawyer, 2010
Álvaro has a law degree from the Universidad Complutense de Madrid and speaks Spanish, English and French. He joined Herbert Smith Freehills from another international law firm in Madrid where he was an international partner. Prior to this, he was an equity partner at Garrigues.