Álvaro has advised both national and international clients on the acquisition of real estate assets (e.g. shopping centres, office buildings and logistic warehouses) and real estate owned (REOs) portfolios.
He has experience in sale and leaseback transactions, in drafting commercial lease agreements and he has comprehensive due diligence skills.
Álvaro's experience includes advising:
- Banco Santander and Banco Popular on the sale to Blackstone of the majority of its real estate exposure via the incorporation of a joint venture*
- Banco Sabadell on the sale to Cerberus of the majority of its real estate exposure via the incorporation of a joint venture*
- Banco Sabadell on the sale to Intrum Holding Spain of an 80% interest in Solvia Servicios Inmobiliarios*
- Nuveen Real Estate on the acquisition and refinancing of a number of retail units in Nervión Plaza shopping centre in Seville from Iberdrola Inmobiliaria
- the joint venture formed by Cain International and FREO on the acquisition and financing of the Juno portfolio (formed by 28 office buildings located in Madrid and Barcelona) from Merlin Properties, and of the Albatros portfolio (formed by two office buildings located in Madrid), for an aggregate amount of c. €293 million
*Experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Álvaro has a double degree in Law and Business awarded by the Universidad Carlos III in Madrid, and a master's Degree in Access to Law awarded by the same university.
Before joining the Madrid office, he previously worked in the real estate practice of a recognized law firm for two years and a half.