Allen joined the firm in 1999. Prior to that he practised in New York and London with Davis Polk & Wardwell and then joined JPMorgan in 1993. He worked with the bank in London and Brussels and was primarily responsible for its European M&A business.
His experience includes:
- Eni on a strategic joint venture with Rosneft to develop oil and gas reserves in the Barents Sea and Black Sea
- Yamal Development, a 50/50 joint venture between Gazprom Neft and Novatek, on the acquisition of a 51% participation interest in OOO SeverEnergia
- Sinopec on the US$3.72 billion acquisition of Udmurtneft, a Russian oil producer, from TNK-BP and the associated leveraged buyout (LBO) and joint venture with Rosneft
- Troika Dialog on the US$300 million sale of 36% of its shares to Standard Bank for a consideration involving a US$200 convertible loan and 100% of shares of Standard Bank's Russian subsidiary ZAO Standard Bank
- Gazprom Neft on the joint venture arrangements with the Sibir Energy owned Moscow Oil & Gas Company forming a newco, and its acquisition of Moscow Oil Refinery
He was the managing partner of the Moscow office for 10 years and the Regional Managing Partner for EMEA for three years. He advises financial institutions and corporations on cross-border mergers and acquisitions and international capital markets transactions. He also advises foreign and Russian-owned companies on investments in Russia.
Allen has worked for clients across a wide range of sectors including energy and natural resources and financial institutions.