He advises Russian and international clients on all aspects of M&A projects, private equity deals and corporate restructurings. He is highly skilled in dealing with complex joint venture issues (both formation and breakup), defending against hostile take-overs (both structuring and litigation strategies) and advising on investments that involve state participants and offshore structuring issues. Alexei has developed a particular expertise in the energy and natural resources and real estate sectors.
Alexei graduated from the international law department of the Moscow State Institute (University) for International Relations (MGIMO) where he now teaches law. He joined the firm as partner in 2007 after more than a decade of working at the Moscow and Paris offices of an international law firm and with a leading consultancy firm.
Alexei has advised:
- ONEXIM Group on a more than US$400 million debt and corporate restructuring of RosBusinessConsulting (RBC) Group, a Russian media company, and on the acquisition of majority control in the newly created holding company RBC-TV Moscow
- Mohawk Industries on Russian law issues in relation to indirect acquisition of 100% in Marazzi Group for approximately $1.5 billion with a combination of cash and equity
- ONEXIM Group, as a co-owner of Quadra (formerly Territorial Generating Company 4 (TGK-4)), on the establishment of a joint venture with Dalkia International, subsidiary of Veolia Environment and EDF, in relation to the provision of district heating in Russia
- Tata Motors on the Russian aspects of its US$2.3 billion acquisition of Land Rover and Jaguar from Ford Motors
- Gazprombank-Invest on a joint venture with a UK-based real estate investment fund to develop a US$100 million Grade A logistics park in north-western Russia
- Potok ∞ (the former Mirax Group) on the restructuring of public debt of the group secured by properties under development
- ONEXIM Group on the sale of control over Chernogorskaya, a Russian mining company
- Gazprom, Wintershall and E.ON as project sponsors and the project company as borrower on the €1 billion project financing to develop Yuzhno-Russkoye gas field in Western Siberia, Russia. Click here to read more
- VEB – Project Management in relation to the redevelopment of an industrial site in the center of Moscow formerly occupied by Slava factory
- Morgan Stanley Real Estate on its first transaction in Russia involving the acquisition of a stake in a Russian real estate developer.
- "shows ‘exceptional business acumen’" - Legal500 2015
- "A very talented lawyer" - Chambers Global 2015
- "A very efficient negotiator: sharp, quick and persuasive" - Chambers Global 2014
- "Earns praise from market sources for his commercial acumen and excellent connections" - Chambers Global 2013
- "A solid and reliable lawyer who is good to work with" - Chambers Global 2012
- "One of the smartest in town" - Chambers Global 2011
- "A young, commercial partner who can do anything" - Chambers Europe 2011
- "Very professional, very responsive, full marks" - IFLR1000 2011
- Highly recommended for corporate work in Russia - Who’s Who Legal: CIS 2010
- "Super-bright and exceptionally commercial Russian lawyer" - Chambers Europe 2009
- Superlative – a sophisticated, creative lawyer who understands the bigger business context and is assertive, without being aggressive" - Chambers Global 2007