Alexei has extensive experience in advising on complex Russian and international litigation matters affecting the activities of both foreign investors and national Russian companies. For the period from 2007 to 2014 Alexei won over 200 litigations, including 6 in the High Arbitration Court.
Alexei Panich is an advocate in Advocate's Bureau "Herbert Smith Freehills".
Recent experience includes:
- a Gazprom subsidiary in various courts in connection with several disputes aimed at termination of a gas condensate supply agreement (amount in dispute in excess of US$70 million)
- a UK investor in a dispute with a major Russian developer PIK related to the purchase of a stake in a Russian LLC (amount in dispute in excess of US$35 million)
- a Russian subsidiary of an international food retailer in a number of disputes with its landlord and assignees under lease agreements including a dispute being considered by a Russian court under English law (amount in dispute in excess of US$16 million)
- Commerzbank in various Russian litigations related to a credit facility agreement with the members of a Russian manufacturing group
- a manufacturer of electronic equipment in a Russian court in connection with VAT and profits tax assessments (amount in dispute in excess of US$120 million)
Chapter 16: Russia: Finding, Freezing and Attaching Assets A Multi-Jurisdictional Handbook, Kluwer Law International 2016
International Commercial Litigation: the Russian Federation Encyclopedia of International Commercial Litigation, November 2015
Russian parties and sanctions-related arbitrations Global Arbitration Review, April 2015
Уголовная ответственность юрлиц. Зачем это нужно? «Slon Magazine», Март 2015
Как сторонам жить в мире и согласии? «Корпоративный юрист», Октябрь 2014
"The quality of his advice was great – he is client-friendly and very quick" Chambers Global 2015
"an experienced and versatile commercial litigator who regularly handles customs and tax cases" Legal500 EMEA 2014
"a highly regarded member of the dispute resolution group and is noted for his tax litigation abilities" Chambers Europe 2014
"Tenacious litigator; someone who has a lot of respect in the market" and "Substantial experience in contentious tax work, his arrival has increased the team's capabilities" and "Clients value his team management skills" Chambers Europe 2013
Alexei graduated from the Moscow State Academy of Law in 1999 and has been a member of the Moscow Bar since 2002.
He joined Herbert Smith from Salans, where he was the head of the Moscow dispute resolution practice and co-head of the Russian taxation group.