Alex heads the firm's market leading Alternative Dispute Resolution practice. He is a solicitor advocate and a CEDR accredited mediator, and handles all aspects of insurance coverage disputes, commercial litigation and contentious regulatory investigations.
Alex's recent experience includes advising:
- Single Buoy Moorings Inc in Commercial Court proceedings on a US$1.3 billion construction all risks insurance claim concerning the Yme platform in the North Sea
- BP in relation to insurance recoveries following the Deepwater Horizon loss
- Monoline insurer Financial Guaranty Insurance Company in a US$200 million claim against the German bank IKB arising out of guarantee arrangements in support of a complex structured finance transaction
- a FTSE 100 company on recoveries under professional indemnity and D&O policies following regulatory investigations into investment funds in the Channel Islands
- BP and over 30 joint venture partners in a US$230 million coverage dispute with underwriters and brokers over an offshore construction all risks open cover facility
Legal 500 UK has ranked Alex as a Leading Individual for Insurance Litigation for Policyholders for many years. He is described in Legal 500 2016 as "an excellent lawyer with sound judgement" and "an excellent negotiator", in Chambers 2017 as "very clever and quick" and in Chambers UK 2015 as "one of the stars for insurance work."
He is particularly known for his work with clients in the energy and natural resources sector where he has represented the policyholders on many of the largest losses in the London and international insurance markets of the last fifteen years, assisting clients to recover hundreds of millions of dollars from insurers through negotiation, mediation, litigation and arbitration.
Alex has an MA from Cambridge University in law. He was admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 1997 and made a partner in 2004.