Alexander is a specialist in cross-border litigation and international arbitration. He regularly represents Russian and international clients in complex disputes with a special focus on cross-border debt recovery, international insolvency and fight against fraud and asset dissipation. Alexander is often involved in matters which concern obtaining of, or defending against, interim injunctions.
Another area of Alexander's focus is international arbitration. He regularly advises clients on arbitration-related matters and has experience in representing clients before the major international arbitration institutions, including the LCIA and the ICC.
Alexander's experience includes advising:
- a Russian businessman in connection with a complex cross-border shareholders dispute regarding coal mining business in 9 jurisdictions (Cyprus, BVI, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Seychelles, Belize, England, Greece and Russia) including obtaining of disclosure and freezing orders in a number of jurisdictions.
- a major Russian private bank on recovery of debt from a prominent Russian businessman in France. The matter involved recognition of Russian money judgments in France, obtaining of freezing injunctions against the French property of the debtor and successful challenge of the debtor's attempts to dissipate the assets. The proceedings also concerned recognition of Russian insolvency in France.
- a Russian investment fund in the insolvency proceedings of a major retail company in Spain. The proceedings involved inclusion of the client's claims in the bankruptcy and challenging claims initiated by the insolvency administrator against our client regarding security provided by the retailer to the client. The matter also involved advising the client in relation to potential litigation in Russia.
- a Russian investment fund in a dispute with a co-owner of Russian major retail chain, Azbuka Vkusa, which concerned enforcement of put option agreement claims valued at circa US$150 million. This complex matter involved initiation of the LCIA proceedings and successful obtaining of Cypriot court freezing injunctions against the defendant. The matter completed with an out-of-court settlement.
- a Russian billionaire and various Russian investment vehicles, in a dispute with a Russian businessman relating to mining assets (including claims under an option agreement alleged to be worth in excess of USD100 million). The matter involved an LCIA arbitration; litigation proceedings against asset dissipation and obtaining asset freezing order in Russia; fighting against commencement of 28 USC §1782 proceedings in the courts of New York, the USA; and advising on potential action in Florida.
Alexander graduated with honours from the Law Faculty of the Moscow State University, Russia. He is a Russian advocate and is admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales. He is also a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb).
Alexander speaks English and Russian.