Alexander focuses on energy and natural resources matters in Russia and the CIS, Europe. the Middle East, and Africa. He has extensive experience advising on project developments, project financing, and acquisitions and disposals of energy and natural resources assets. Alexander has particular expertise in restructuring difficult projects and advising on entities in financial distress.
Alexander's sector experience includes a wide range of oil and gas, mining, power and infrastructure assets across many juridications.
"Alexander Currie has extensive experience in the energy and natural resources sector, focusing on the Russian and Middle Eastern markets. He has considerable experience of project finance and restructuring mandates." Chambers Global 2015
"Alexander Currie comes highly recommended for his ability to structure project finance deals. He advises on energy and natural resources matters across Russia, the CIS, the Middle East and Africa." Chambers Global 2014
Alexander has advised:
- Nord Stream 2 A.G. on the €9 billion Nord Stream 2 sub-sea pipeline project through Russian, Finnish, Swedish, Danish and German territorial waters – ongoing
- Amursky Gas Processing Plant, acting for the project company on the €13 billion gas, LPG and helium processing project – ongoing
- the lenders led by SACE, Euler Hermes, JBIC, NEXI, EXIAR and VEB on the €18 billion South Stream – Turkey Stream sub-sea pipeline project through Russian, Turkish, and Bulgarian territorial waters – suspended
- the project company on the restructuring of a $1 billion Saudi Arabian industrial project – ongoing
- the largest creditor on the $10 billion restructuring of Dubai Group – ongoing
- the lenders on a US$1 billion upstream reserve based loan for the development of the Leviathan field, offshore Israel - ongoing
- Shtokman Development AG (a project company owned by Gazprom, Total and Statoil) on the $26 billion project financing of the Shtokman Field gas, LNG and condensate project in Russia - suspended
Alexander has over twenty years' experience acting on the development of projects, project financing, acquisitions and disposals of energy and natural resource assets, and restructuring troubled projects.
Alexander joined our London office as partner in 2005. From 2006 to 2012 Alexander was head of our energy, projects and finance teams in Moscow. From 2012 to 2016 Alexander was based in Dubai, as head of our energy, projects and finance teams, focusing on energy and natural resources matters in Russia, the Middle East and Africa. In 2016 Alexander returned to our London office.