Alec has well-developed experience in commercial litigation, including restructuring litigation, as well as corporate investigations and inquiries. He has advised clients in connection with a broad range of high-value contentious matters, including contractual disputes, commercial negotiations, insolvency proceedings, shareholder actions and class actions. His work often involves disputes with an international element. He has advised on proceedings before all levels of court.
Alec has experience working with clients from the financial services and natural resources sectors, publicly-listed corporates, and large professional services firms.
Alec's experience includes advising:
- the RBS Group in connection with UK group action proceedings arising out of the bank's £12 billion 2008 rights issue
- the Sub-Committee of the Board of Ferrexpo plc in relation to an investigation following the collapse of its Ukrainian banking counterparty
- Sea Trucks Group Limited (in Liquidation) and related entities in relation to multinational disputes with the former management, shareholder and associate company of the group, resulting in over 100 proceedings worldwide
- a leading multinational bank in responding to a liquidator's requests for information in connection with a real estate financing
- the receiver of a major African airline in respect of UK recognition proceedings and related applications
Alec has a Master's degree in Law and Finance from the University of Oxford and a law degree (Juris Doctor) from the University of Toronto. Alec is qualified as a lawyer in Ontario, Canada, and has been practicing in the UK since January 2016.