Alan has practised in these areas for over 30 years, five which were spent working with a major London law firm. He has particular experience and expertise dealing with disputes relating to finance and insolvency, corporate regulatory matters and taxation.
Alan is recognised in the 2020 edition of Best Lawyers in the areas of Alternative Dispute Resolution, Insolvency and Reorganization Law, and Litigation. He is also listed in the 2019 Doyle’s Guide as a ‘Leading’ Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyer.
His recent experience includes advising:
- Murraylink in its action against two state governments, the Australian Energy Regulator and TransGrid concerning the construction of the A$200 million SNI project
- Transurban in successful High Court proceedings against the Commissioner of Taxation which resulted in Transurban obtaining a tax deduction of $3.2 billion
- McDermott in its successful Full Federal Court proceedings against the Commissioner of Taxation whereby McDermott obtained a $42 million deduction
- the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) in proceedings brought by it against the Commonwealth (Bureau of Meteorology) for misuse of market power
- Treasury Wine Estates (TWE) in the class actions against it
Alan holds Arts and Laws degrees from Monash University and holds a Master of Laws degree from the University of London (London School of Economics). He is admitted to practice in all Australian jurisdictions and in England.