Adam has represented clients in many large-scale litigation and arbitration cases in Europe and the United States. He works with clients on on all aspects of cross-border disputes and international law including asset tracing and injunctions; claims involving states and state entities; jurisdiction and choice of law issues; and international judicial assistance. Adam is a solicitor advocate and a member of Herbert Smith Freehills’ Advocacy Unit and is the firm’s Corporate Responsibility Partner.
Chambers UK 2011 describes Adam as being “highly regarded for large-scale litigation and arbitration” and recognises him as having “a cerebral style while always being utterly user-friendly”. He is an accredited mediator with the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution, and a Trustee of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
Who’s Who Legal 2010 names Adam in the Commercial Litigation category, and Legal Experts 2010 includes him in the Banking Litigation category.
Adam’s experience includes advising:
- Financial Guaranty Insurance Company, a US monoline insurer, against German lender IKB on claims arising from IKB’s near collapse in 2007
- Group on its high-profile fraud claim arising from its listed takeover of Morrison plc in 2006
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission in major fraud enforcement proceedings in the Isle of Man, arising from the collapse of AremisSoft Corporation. This resulted in the largest ever repatriation of the proceeds of crime by the US
- partners of UK’s Arthur Andersen in connection with a variety of matters following the collapse of the worldwide Andersen network, including US proceedings related to the Enron and WorldCom scandals
- Eastern European state in the London Court of International Arbitration, and bilateral investment treaty arbitration proceedings, arising out of a foreign investment programme
- Mabey & Johnson in relation to an attempt to stay English litigation in favour of arbitration proceedings
- Standard Chartered Bank in relation to Cayman Islands injunction proceedings arising out of the attempted enforcement of judgments and awards against the Republic of the Congo