Aaron has experience advising clients across various sectors on a range of regulatory compliance matters which include anti-money laundering regulations, financial services licensing and data protection in Malaysia. Aaron also advises on general commercial and corporate transactions in the technology, financial, and hospitality sectors.
Aaron’s prior experience includes:
- Advising a leading Fortune 500 global trading and business investment company on the e-signature and virtual signing laws in 17 jurisdictions.
- Advising an international American non-profit organisation on data privacy laws in several jurisdictions.
- Review and draft revisions of payment processing agreements for companies across multiple industries including for a Fortune 500 American multinational technology company and an American social media conglomerate company.
- Advised a multinational cigarettes and tobacco manufacturer in relation to its entering into a master services agreement with an American electronic signature platform including assisting in the review and draft revisions of said agreement.
- 3 month virtual secondment to the transactional banking division of a British multinational banking and financial services company during which assisted in preparing a template payment processing agreement for the bank.
- Acted for the Labuan offshore branch of a Swiss investment bank on investigations by the Labuan Financial Services Authority into alleged breaches of AML regulations*
- Advised a Singapore Fintech on its money services business licence application with the Central Bank of Malaysia*
- Advised an American multinational beauty company on Malaysian data protection law compliance*
- Advised an American entertainment company on a broad range of legal matters relating to its expansion to Malaysia including advising on suitable company structures and application for import and film distribution licence*
- Advised the principal marketing arm of Malaysia’s leading oil and gas company on its electronic wallet licence application with the Central Bank of Malaysia*
- Advised a luxury hotel management company on alternative dispute resolutions relating to the civil enforcement of its intellectual property rights in Malaysia*
(* experience gained prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills)
Aaron holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from City University London. He also holds a Masters of Law with a specialisation in law and technology from U.C. Berkeley School of Law. He was admitted to the Bar of England and Wales and to the Malaysian Bar as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2015 and 2017 respectively.
Aaron speaks English and Malay and has basic proficiency in Mandarin Chinese.