Aaron has extensive experience in both advising and acting in intellectual property disputes across a range of industries. Aaron particularly specialises in life sciences patent litigation, and has acted for numerous clients in all stages of disputes in both Australia and the UK, including major commercial litigation in both countries, appeals, settlement and licensing negotiations, and co-ordination of multi-jurisdictional patent disputes.
Aaron's experience extends across all aspects of intellectual property protection including patents, copyright, trade marks, confidential information, passing off, parallel importation and consumer law, and a range of industries including pharmaceuticals and life sciences, consumer products, finance, media and advertising. He has acted for major national and international clients in both enforcing and challenging intellectual property rights.
Aaron also regularly provides pro bono assistance to a variety of clients. In particular, Aaron has previously co-ordinated Herbert Smith Freehills' ongoing pro bono support to the Arts Law Centre, and worked closely with Shelley Reys AO regarding the development of an online Indigenous cultural competency training programme.
Aaron's experience includes advising:
- AbbVie in United Kingdom and multi-jurisdictional patent litigation regarding its leading its blockbuster anti-TNFα antibody Humira® (adalimumab)
- Gilead in the Australian arm of the global patent infringement and revocation proceedings regarding its groundbreaking HCV treatment Sovaldi® (sofosbuvir)
- Roche and Genentech on a number of high-value multi-jurisdictional disputes, including UK patent proceedings in relation to Rituxan®/MabThera® (rituximab)
- a major global pharmaceutical company in a long-running series of complex Australian Federal Court patent infringement, revocation and amendment proceedings
- Tibra Trading Pty Ltd in Australian Federal Court proceedings regarding copyright and confidential information in high-frequency trading software
Aaron holds a Bachelor of Science (Advanced) (majoring in nanoscience and technology) and a Bachelor of Laws (Hons I) from the University of Sydney.
Aaron is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court of Australia.