Armando is the Head of our finance practice in Madrid with wide expertise in all kinds of structured finance transactions.
He advises banks, alternative lenders, borrowers and sponsors on all type of structured finance transactions such as acquisition and leveraged finance, real estate finance, project finance, restructuring and refinancing transactions, with special focus in the private equity, energy, infrastructure and real estate sectors. In addition, Armando is highly experienced in working with our clients on multi-jurisdictional transactions, coordinating the advice provided by our lawyers in all involved jurisdictions and supervising the work produced by local counsels when required.
During his career, he has been involved in some of the most relevant financing transactions in the Spanish market, as well as in the most significant restructuring and refinancing transactions. Moreover, given the conditions of the market during the last years, he has very significant experience in advising in distress transactions, including the identification of potential issues as well as the legal structuring and the design of the strategy of the transaction.
Accolades and recognition
His expertise is highlighted in Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 for Banking and Finance since 2017.
"Armando García Mendoza has a strong capacity to deliver and get things done.", Chambers Europe 2023 – Spain (Banking & finance)
"He identifies key issues quickly and provides always creative but practical solutions for his clients," applaud sources, Chambers Europe 2022 – Spain (Banking & finance)
Armando has a degree in Law and a diploma in Business administration (E-1) by the Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE) in Madrid. He speaks Spanish and English. He is admitted to the Ilustre Colegio de la Abogacía de Madrid (ICAM – Madrid Bar Association).
Experience & expertise
- Banco Santander, Banco Sabadell and CaixaBank, as creditors, on the restructuring of the debt of Naviera Armas, a leading Spanish maritime transport company. The transaction is one of the largest restructuring processes currently ongoing in the Spanish market
- a syndicate of lenders including ING, Banco Santander, CaixaBank, Targo Bank, Tresmares, Amundi, Alantra, among others, on the refinancing of the debt of Garnica Group, the global leader in plywood industry, participated by ICG
- a syndicate of financial institutions including Tresmares Santander Direct Lending SICC, Banco Santander, CaixaBank, Banco de Crédito Social Cooperativo, Targo Bank and Oquendo, as lenders, on the financing granted to Global Agro Investment, subsidiary of Fremman Capital and holding company of the group "The Natural Fruit Company", for the purposes of (i) refinancing the existing indebtedness of the group, (ii) financing future potential acquisitions; and (iii) financing Capex/working capital needs of the group
- Healthcare Activos Group on the €350 million term loan and €40 million RCF financings, granted by a syndicate of lenders led by CACIB and BNP Paribas, for the purposes of refinancing all the previous existing debt of the group and financing future healthcare asset acquisitions
- Banco Santander, Caixabank and Banco Sabadell on the refinancing granted to MSC Valencia in relation to a port terminal project in the Port of Valencia
- Banco Santander and a syndicate of financial institutions (including, among others, BBVA, Bankinter, Banco Sabadell, Bankia, Mutua, etc.) on the €220 million loan and bond financing (including bank lending and institutional tranches) granted to Ence Energía for the purposes of refinancing the existing indebtedness of the group and financing certain additional financing needs (add-ons tranche, project finance tranche, etc.) of the group