Ali is a senior associate in our competition, regulation and trade team, who is based in our London office.
Ali has broad experience in all aspects of UK and EU competition law including in relation to merger control, abuse of dominance, antitrust, distribution and other commercial agreements. He also has considerable experience in foreign direct investment (FDI) regulation.
Ali has been involved in antitrust and merger control cases before the European Commission, the CMA, the UK Financial Conduct Authority, as well as competition authorities in the Middle East and around the world helping to secure clearances and successful outcomes for all of his clients. He has advised companies in a broad range of sectors.
Ali has considerable experience of the UK's new FDI regime governed by the National Security and Investment Act, which he helped to shape through the legislative process. He has made numerous filings under the NSI Act securing clearances on all his cases. He has been involved in two of the cases with final orders which were cleared with remedies. He also spent time on secondment at the Department of Digital Culture Media and Sport last year working on the NSI Act regime. He has worked on and helped to secure clearances (including conditional clearances) for FDI filings made in Australia, Czechia, Denmark, France, Germany and Italy.
Experience & expertise
- Sumitomo Corporation in successfully securing merger control and FDI clearances in connection with its investment in DABCO Limited, a digital platform provider wholly owned by Vodafone Group Plc
- Altra Industrial Motion Corp. on its acquisition by Regal Rexnord, advising on the FDI aspects of the transaction and securing FDI clearances in seven countries
- Go Ahead Group PLC in connection with offers for the business and is eventual sale to a consortium owned by Kinetic TCo Pty Ltd and Globalvia Inversiones S.A.U., with the deal valued at around £669m securing unconditional merger control and FDI clearances
- MoneySupermarket.com on the combination of its TravelSupermarket business with Icelolly.com, securing unconditional Phase I clearance from the CMA
- Hellenic Gas Transmission System Operator (DESFA) in successfully securing unconditional Phase I EU merger clearance for DESFA's acquisition of a 20% stake in GASTRADE – a gas import terminal listed as a European 'Project of Common Interest