Alek is an Associate in the firm's dispute resolution practice in London.
Alek specialises in complex commercial disputes and investigations. He is a member of the New York Bar and is qualified in Australia.
Alek has also worked as Corporate Counsel at Rio Tinto Limited, the world's second largest metals and mining corporation, where he worked directly with the Chief Counsel. Prior to working in private practice, Alek was Associate to the Honourable Justice Riordan (the Principal Judge of the Commercial Court) at the Supreme Court of Victoria. While working for his Honour, Alek gained experience in both the Trial Division and the Court of Appeal.
Alek draws on his broad experience in disputes and investigations to support clients to navigate complex commercial issues and to deliver strategies that are aligned to reputational and commercial drivers.
Alek completed a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Melbourne (majoring in history and philosophy) before completing his Juris Doctor at Melbourne Law School, where he graduated with a Certificate of Recognition of Academic Excellence.
Experience & expertise
- Volvo/Renault: acting for Volvo/Renault in the trucks investigation, including co-ordinating the multi-jurisdictional defence of litigation arising from the European Commission's decision of anti-competitive conduct *
- Post Office Limited: acting for Post Office Limited in the public Inquiry in relation to the implementation and failings of the Horizon IT system at the Post Office over its lifetime
- PTTEP Australasia class action: acting for PTTEP Australasia in a high-profile class action arising from an oil spill at its Montara oilfield, causing the largest oil spill in Australian history *
- KPMG: acting for KPMG in a professional negligence action brought by liquidators in relation to audits carried out by KPMG for Gunns Limited prior to its collapse *
- Westpac: acting for Westpac in high-profile proceedings brought in relation to alleged contraventions of its obligations under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (Cth) *
- Confidential transfer pricing dispute: acting for a company listed on the FTSE 100 in a confidential transfer pricing dispute brought by the regulator *
- Foreign Influence Transparency Scheme: advising individuals and organisations in relation to their obligations under the Foreign Influence Transparency Scheme, a regulatory scheme requiring persons who undertake activities on behalf of a foreign government or political organisation to register with the Attorney General's Department if those activities are intended to influence Australian governmental or political decision-making *
- Allnex Industrial Resins: acting for Allnex Industrial Resins in a product liability action brought in respect of its industrial coating resins used in swimming pools *
* experience gained prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills