Adam is a banking and finance specialist in real estate, corporate, fund and acquisition finance.
Adam advises domestic and international financial institutions and corporate borrowers, including leading Australian and international banks, non-ADI lenders, private and ASX listed companies, private equity funds, investment funds and superannuation funds.
Adam’s practice focuses on real estate, corporate, fund and acquisition financing (including bilateral, syndicated and club arrangements, and both secured and unsecured transactions). Adam’s practice includes negotiating and providing strategic advice to lenders and borrowers in respect of financing arrangements relating to:
- the acquisition and/or construction of individual real estate assets (including residential developments, office towers, student accommodation buildings, shopping centres, hotels and industrial properties);
- the acquisition and/or establishment of real estate portfolios (both listed and unlisted);
- corporate funding platforms for both listed and unlisted companies and funds (including pre- and post- IPO financings and capital call/fund financing arrangements); and
- acquisitions of private and listed companies and entities.
Adam’s breadth of practice, combined with his extensive experience and interest in complex and strategic cross-border transactions for large-scale corporate, real estate and acquisition financing transactions, enables Adam to provide clients with targeted and commercial advice.
Adam is highly regarded by clients and peers in the finance market, as demonstrated by Adam being awarded ‘Best Finance Lawyer’ at Goodman’s 2020 Legal Awards. Adam was also part of the team that was awarded ‘Best Corporate Deal’ at the 2018 Goodman Legal Awards.
Adam holds a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and a Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) from Macquarie University, including units completed at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. Adam joined Herbert Smith Freehills in 2008, and the Finance group in 2011, having previously worked in the Corporate group. Adam is admitted to practice as a solicitor in New South Wales and the High Court of Australia.
Experience & expertise
- various companies and REITs in respect of their corporate and acquisition funding platforms, including Event Hospitality & Entertainment, Gateway, Metcash, NEXTDC, Propertylink and various Goodman and Lendlease entities and funds;
- lenders in respect of corporate and/or acquisitions facilities provided to Coles, various Charter Hall funds, CIMIC, Evolution Mining and Oxford (in respect of the acquisition of the Investa Office Fund);
- Scape in respect of the acquisition of the ‘Atira’ and ‘Urbanest’ student accommodation portfolios; and
- various developers and lenders in relation to the acquisition and/or construction of residential developments, office towers, student accommodation buildings, shopping centres, hotels and industrial properties (including Chifley Tower Sydney, Circular Quay Tower Sydney, a 60+ floor apartment block in Melbourne, and a staged residential development in Kellyville NSW).