Aaron is an intellectual property, technology and litigation specialist.
Aaron has extensive experience in assisting clients to protect and enforce their intellectual property rights and mitigate their IP and related risks. Aaron has advised and acted for clients in international and national matters in both Australia and the UK, including in developing international enforcement strategies, major commercial litigation in both countries, appeals, settlement and licensing negotiations, and co-ordination of multi-jurisdictional disputes.
Aaron particularly specialises in litigation involving complex technology in the high tech and life sciences sectors. He also regularly acts for clients in the consumer products, finance, media and advertising spaces. His experience extends across all aspects of intellectual property protection including patents, copyright, trade marks, confidential information, passing off, parallel importation and consumer law.
Aaron also regularly provides pro bono assistance to a variety of clients. In particular, Aaron has previously co-ordinated Herbert Smith Freehills' ongoing pro bono support to the Arts Law Centre, and worked closely with Shelley Reys AO regarding the development of an online Indigenous cultural competency training programme.
Aaron has been recognised as a rising star by Managing IP: IP STARS, and a life sciences rising star by the International Financial Law Review.
Aaron holds a Bachelor of Science (Advanced) (majoring in nanoscience and technology) and a Bachelor of Laws (Hons I) from the University of Sydney.
Aaron is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court of Australia.
Experience & expertise
- Motorola Solutions in its claim for patent and copyright infringement against Hytera Communications in relation to digital mobile radio technology and associated source code
- Hanwha Solutions in patent infringement and validity proceedings relating to complex solar cell technology
- Polarcus in a long-running Australian patent dispute against PGS relating to marine seismic surveying and data processing technology
- Tabcorp in a number of disputes, including patent litigation relating to wagering technology, and copyright infringement allegations concerning an API for gaming systems
- AbbVie in UK and multi-jurisdictional patent litigation regarding its leading its blockbuster anti-TNFα antibody Humira® (adalimumab)
- Gilead in the Australian arm of the global patent infringement and revocation proceedings regarding its groundbreaking HCV treatment Sovaldi® (sofosbuvir)
- Roche and Genentech on a number of high-value multi-jurisdictional disputes, including UK patent proceedings in relation to Rituxan®/MabThera® (rituximab)
- Goodman Fielder in urgent trade mark interlocutory injunction proceedings in the Federal Court against Arnott’s
- A commercial retail company in Supreme Court proceedings relating to alleged breaches of contractual and fiduciary duties, breach of confidence and copyright infringement by former employees and a competitor business
- Tibra Trading Pty Ltd in Australian Federal Court proceedings regarding copyright and confidential information in high-frequency trading software