Our team of practitioners sits at the heart of our firm's preeminent dispute resolution practice. We don’t just understand tax: we are expert litigators and can field a team of individuals with qualifications in mediation, advocacy and accountancy.
We bring our strategic and technical insights to bear in every domestic and international tax dispute to achieve positive outcomes for clients whenever we are instructed. We do so through direct engagement with tax authorities or commercial counterparties, and where necessary negotiation, alternative dispute resolution, treaty arbitration and litigation. We are also regularly engaged to assess tax risk and penalty mitigation.
When the case requires it, the team is able to call upon the services of (among others) our market leading international arbitration, corporate crime, administrative law, state aid and world trade law practitioners.
We are trusted by clients across all sectors to handle all forms of direct and indirect tax disputes and compliance matters, including:
- contentious business tax and personal tax issues
- double tax treaty and investment treaty disputes
- civil and criminal tax fraud proceedings
- tax related professional negligence and mis-selling claims
- tax related state aid, EU, and world trade law issues
- tax warranty and indemnity claims
- tax penalty mitigation and liability prevention
- third party compliance with tax investigations and penalty regimes
THE LAW SOCIETY OF ENGLAND AND WALES
Representing our professional body in Supreme Court proceedings concerning the application of legal professional privilege to tax advice
Challenging successfully in the Court of Appeal the settled view of HMRC as to the tax status of commercial mortgage backed securities
COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRALIA
Advising CBA on its R&D Incentive dispute with Innovation & Science Australia and the ATO in proceedings in the AAT