We work with insurance policyholders at all stages of the insurance process ensuring policies are fit for purpose at the outset and in the event of a claim to recover sums due from insurers through negotiation, mediation, litigation and arbitration.
Our end to end service for insurance policyholders around the globe spans a broad range of sectors including construction, energy, financial, manufacturing, mining, retail and transport.
We can help you with:
- contractual risk allocation and the interface with insurance
- reviewing and developing policy wordings and structures in close collaboration with a client's brokers
- assisting policyholders with major claims, including advice on coverage, preparation of claims submissions, claim project management and claims advocacy to secure an appropriate settlement of the claim using the full range of dispute resolution procedures such as litigation, arbitration and mediation
- handling product liability issues for corporate clients both in relation to the underlying liability issue and any insurance arrangements
- advising clients in relation to issues flowing from critical business events including environmental incidents; property damage; personal injury claims; corporate manslaughter charges and health and safety investigations
- representing insured directors and officers and major corporates in defending claims covered by their insurance policy where they have rights to nominate their choice of legal representation.
Policyholder Insurance Highlights publications
Read our assessment of the key lessons for insurance policyholders from previous year’s top cases.
A MAJOR INTERNATIONAL PROPERTY GROUP
Advising in relation to contract works, professional liability and public liability claims across a series of construction and development projects.
A leading financial institution
Advising on a major "Side C" D+O claim, thought to be one of the largest in the London market
Major financial institutions
Advising on claims under their Bankers Blanket Bond and civil liability insurances for significant losses arising out of the global financial crisis
BHP Billiton – Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA)
Acting in business interruption claims following widespread flooding in 2008 and 2010 which filled open cut pits and affected coal production in Queensland’s Bowen Basin, the largest of which involved eight mines operated by BMA. That claim, which was settled for A$667 million, is understood to be one of the world’s largest single BI claims ever paid
Acting on defending three separate class actions and pursuing recovery under the associated insurance claims arising from the 2009 Victorian Bushfires in Australia. The settlements of these class actions represented the largest in Australian legal history
Advising in connection with insurance recoveries arising out of the Deepwater Horizon incident including claims in respect of pollution liability under the insurance maintained by the drilling contractor, Transocean, owners of the Deepwater Horizon