Herbert Smith Freehills’ private equity and venture capital team has advised GreenCollar and its founding shareholders on the investment in GreenCollar by global investment firm KKR.
GreenCollar is one of Australia’s largest environmental markets investors, natural resource managers and conservation-for-profit organisations, and the largest provider of carbon abatement in Australia.
Elizabeth Henderson said, “In just over a decade, GreenCollar’s founders have built an incredibly successful and innovative business that delivers important conservation outcomes in land and water. The transaction was a competitive and intense process, and attracted substantial interest globally from prospective investors. We were pleased to work with GreenCollar’s founders and investors who believed in the company and have enabled it to enter its next phase of growth in partnership with KKR.”
GreenCollar’s co-founder and a former barrister, Lewis Tyndall, said, “Herbert Smith Freehills has been outstanding. I was used to working with high-performing lawyers at the bar many years ago, but Peter Dunne, Elizabeth Henderson and their team jumped right in and never missed a beat handling four insistent and highly-detailed bids with alacrity and deep skill — not to mention the legal demands and multi stakeholder management inherent in the highly commercial successful bid.”
This deal is another example of Herbert Smith Freehills’ market-leading work in Australian venture capital raisings and founder liquidity transactions. Other recent examples include:
- Adairs Limited’s NZ$80 million acquisition of Mocka Group from its founders;
- The sale of 100% of Earnd by its founders and investors to Greensill Capital;
- SafetyCulture on its A$60.5 million Series C capital raise and secondary sale;
- Deputy Group on its A$111 million Series B capital raise;
- Culture Amp on its A$120 million Series E capital raise; and
- on capital raises for Verteva, Sonder, Gilmour Space, Kasada, Nura, Roborigger, Reejig, Elenium Automation, Campaign Monitor, Tyro Payments, Different, Shore Trade, Buckitdream and others.