Follow us

Herbert Smith Freehills’ Corporate team has advised Total Tools on Metcash’s acquisition of 70% of the company. The deal includes put and call arrangements for the remaining 30%.

Total Tools operates Australia’s largest retail tool network with 81 stores across the country. The business has been operating for over 30 years and targets professional tradespeople who need high quality tools for commercial use. The retail network generated sales of approximately A$555 million for the 12 months ended 31 December 2019.

The Herbert Smith Freehills team was led by partner Michael Ziegelaar and senior associate Sam Kings, who were assisted by senior associates Andrew Earle, Amanda Cowan and Amy Repse and solicitors Ling Zhu, Yael Boneh and Andrew Julian.

Herbert Smith Freehills partner Michael Ziegelaar said, “We are delighted to work with Total Tools on this transaction, which is a fantastic outcome for Total Tools’ shareholders and a testament to the hard work and achievements of its management team, led by Chief Executive Officer Paul Dumbrell and General Counsel and Company Secretary David Lambert, as well as the Total Tools franchisees.”

Herbert Smith Freehills senior associate Sam Kings said, “The transaction demonstrates the quality of the Total Tools business. We look forward to watching its continued success as part of Metcash.”

Media contact

For further information on this article please contact

Emily Coultas

External Communications Manager