Global law firm Herbert Smith Freehills has won the TMT M&A Legal Adviser of the Year award for 2018, making it the second consecutive year that the firm has won the title.
The award is part of the annual TMT M&A Awards organised by TMT Finance that recognises outstanding deals and dealmakers in technology, media and telecommunications (TMT) globally.
Herbert Smith Freehills was crowned winner for its work advising on transactions such as:
- Time Warner’s clearance to acquire AT&T for US$109 billion
- Sky's £30 billion takeover offer from Comcast
- TPG Telecom’s proposed AU$15 billion merger with Vodafone Hutchison Australia
- Softbank’s role in a US$2.5 billion equity funding round in Grab
- I Squared on its US$1.86 billion acquisition of Hutchison Global Communications
"Media has been a very active sector for M&A, particularly in Europe, and the increase in digital activity is a continuing driving force in M&A and investments in this sector," said Hayley Brady, consultant and head of media and digital in the UK.
"Our sector-focused and cross-discipline approach is getting a lot of traction in an M&A market which is booming, as recognised by this award," said Aaron White, telecoms and technology of counsel based in London.
The global TMT team comprises approximately 50 partners and 160 lawyers in key centres across Europe, Middle East & Africa, Asia Pacific, and the USA, and is one of the largest teams of any law firm in the world.
The TMT M&A award follows closely on the heels of the firm winning Entertainment & Media Law Firm of the Year at The Deal Awards Europe 2018.
Other recent TMT M&A award successes include:
- M&A Deal of the Year, China Law & Practice Awards 2018
- Midsize M&A deal of the year, ALB Hong Kong Law Awards 2018
- Best Exit Deal, Korea Venture Capital Awards 2018
- Global Law Firm of the Year, Infrastructure Investor’s Global Awards 2018
- Deal of the Year, Infrastructure Investor’s Global Awards 2018
- Asia Pacific Deal of the Year, Infrastructure Investor’s Global Awards 2018
- TMT Deal of the Year, ALB Japan Law Awards 2017
- Japan Deal of the Year, ALB Japan Law Awards 2017
- M&A Deal of the Year, ALB Japan Law Awards 2017
- Technology LargeCap Deal of the Year – EMEA, TMT M&A Awards 2017
- Best Hong Kong Deal, FinanceAsia Achievement Awards 2017
- Best Singapore Deal, FinanceAsia Achievement Awards 2017
- Deal of the Year, Asia Business Law Journal 2017