Leana's practice is focused on competition law, as well as other related regulatory fields, including consumer protection, data protection, gaming and gambling, franchising and administrative law. She has a track record of advising clients on competition law in South Africa and across the African continent.
She is experienced in all aspects of competition law, including mergers, prohibited practices, leniency applications, and abuse of dominance. Leana has been involved in several high-profile competition matter including in digital, gambling and gaming, FMCG, airline, construction and private healthcare markets.
- She has been selected as a Next Generation Partner in Competition Law by Legal500 where she was described as exceptional and "…excellent to work with. It is not only professionalism with which [she] conducts herself, but also the passion [she] exhibits for [her] craft."
- She is ranked as a Competition Future Leader – Non-Partners by Who's Who Legal and Global Competition Review.
- Leana has been included in The Best Lawyers in South Africa in Competition / Antitrust Law, Best Lawyers in South Africa the Global Business Edition for Competition /Antitrust Law.
Leana's experience includes:
- advising various leading online classifieds platforms in respect of the South African Competition Commission's Online Intermediary Platform Market Inquiry.
- acting for a prominent liquid petroleum gas wholesaler in the Commission's investigation and subsequent referral LPG wholesalers in respect of alleged price fixing of the deposit charged for LPG cylinders.
- advising one of the three large pathology laboratories in South Africa in an investigation by the Commission into the price of COVID-19 tests.
- obtaining unconditional approvals in a global merger that brought together two of the world's largest lessors of commercial aircraft. She was part of the team that advised on the multi-jurisdictional transaction and specifically advised on approvals required from various African regulators, including in Egypt, Nigeria and COMESA.
- advising a major casino operator group in litigation and related regulatory processes concerning proposals to permit another casino within the Western Cape Province to relocate into what has been the exclusive catchment area of the client's Casino and various processes related to proposed legislative changes.
Leana holds a BCom. Law (cum laude) and LLB (cum laude) degrees from the University of Pretoria. She is an admitted attorney in South Africa.