Alex is a senior technology lawyer who leads the firm's Emerging Technology Group in the UK, US & EMEA. He is an advocate of digital change and provides commercially driven legal advice on novel technologies, with a focus on web3 (blockchain, digital assets / crypto / NFTs, metaverse) and artificial intelligence. He advises the full breadth of businesses across the technology and other sectors, from innovative start-ups to trailblazing incumbents.
Alex also jointly heads the firm's Digital Law Group, where he oversees a global team of technology skilled lawyers who research, develop, and educate on cutting edge legal technologies, including blockchain-based smart legal contracts and GPT3. He is an active member for the emerging technology, legal technology, and start-up communities. He sits on the Steering Committee of Global Blockchain Convergence and is a member of the W3C group on rights automation for market data licences.
Alex has advised:
- a global crypto business in relation to multi-jurisdictional regulatory advice for two cryptoasset bridges, designed to help users move cryptoassets between blockchains
- a major cryptocurrency exchange, on FSR, corporate and employment matters in connection with establishing a UK services entity
- a global asset management company in respect of a consortium project for the development of a blockchain-based asset management platform, including its piloting of the platform and associated FCA Sandbox arrangements
- a major global consumer brand on non-fungible tokens for one of its high-end products, a VIP experience, and crypto art
- a leading energy company on drafting and negotiating commercial terms with a leading crypto exchange and technology university, together with financial services regulation advice, regarding the development, operation, and marketing of a blockchain-based decentralised autonomous organisation (DAO) in the UK and US
- UK Finance Limited in running workshops on the practical application of artificial intelligence and associated risks for financial services and drafting a White Paper on the topic of the fair use of artificial intelligence and advanced analytics in financial services.
- Digital Pound Foundation, the consortium of leading companies in the technology and technology digital platform and digital assets space with the "d-GBP Initiative", which is a project focusing on the development and implementation of a digital pound (d-GBP); d-GBP being the UK's version of a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) backed by the Bank of England
- a key contributor to the Law Commission's advice to the government on smart legal contracts, which was published in November 2021. This contribution, by way of response to the Law Commission's call for evidence, formed part of the firm's numerous interactions with the Law Commission in relation to blockchain, smart contracts and other digital and crypto assets
- a major global bank in respect of their establishment of an industry-wide digital platform to streamline and improve international syndicated loans
- Google on a project in relation to its Android Pay product
- a global oil and gas company on the application of weights and measures laws and regulations to electronic receipt delivery in connection with the innovative pay-at-pump mobile application
- an online education provider, in relation to an agreement to expand their market-leading digital cyber security course offering to the UK