Herbert Smith Freehills is pleased to announce the second edition of The Carry: Private Equity Insights.
In this edition we cover:
- Key themes in Private Equity in the year to date
- Insights on due diligence in the age of ESG
- Post-pandemic tech trends
- Transaction insurance in the age of Covid-19
- Purchase price mechanisms – locking the box
- Tax developments in Private Equity & Venture Capital
- How to price and mitigate employment underpayment issues
- Proposed changes to Australia’s foreign investment regime
Should you have any questions in relation to The Carry: Private Equity Insights, please contact our Private Equity team.
Leaders in private equity
Herbert Smith Freehills is the top law firm in Australia and New Zealand by deal value and deal count (Mergermarket).
While some fundraising is anticipated to close during the remainder of 2020, the disruptive influence of Covid-19 may cause fundraising activity to fall below previous years.
Private equity M&A activity
Although the number of completed private equity deals in Q1 2020 was broadly consistent with the level of activity reported for each quarter during 2019, there was a marked contraction in the level of activity reported for Q2 2020.
33% of completed deals in Q1 2020 were in the tech/software sector. The strong performance of the software sector appears to align with previous predictions for tech investments to comprise a major source of deal activity and is consistent with the growth of software as a service.
For Q2 2020, the data is somewhat compromised by the small number of deals completed in the period, but transactions were spread across the software, business services, travel and leisure, environmental services and mining sectors.