Kemi Adekoya and Michael Mendelblat of Herbert Smith Freehills LLP look at the new Arbitration Bill recently introduced to the South African Parliament that will apply to international arbitrations, which should increase its appeal as an arbitration venue.
- A new Arbitration Bill has been introduced into the South African Parliament
- It applies only to international arbitrations
- It incorporates most of the UNCITRAL Model Law
- Minimal court involvement is envisaged in international arbitrations
- Bringing South African arbitration law into line with the UNCITRAL model should promote growth and increase the attractiveness of the country as an arbitration venue
Please click here to view the article
This article was first published in Construction Law magazine, Aug/Sept 2017