This article shares our latest commentary on the energy sector, the post Brexit transition, and its impact on the UK and EU energy sectors.
See the following new commentary on our Energy Notes blog:
Other post transition analysis
- implications for disputes and dispute resolution clauses
- implications for merger control
- implications for mobility
- implications for taxation
- implications for IP, pharma and medical devices
- New year, new UK sanctions regime
- implications for UK pension schemes and sponsors
Webinar – EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement: Initial legal and political analysis – now available on demand
On 7 January 2020, we hosted a webinar with James Palmer, our Chair and Senior Partner, James McBride, Partner at Hanbury Strategy, and colleagues Eric White, senior Consultant at Herbert Smith Freehills' Brussels office, and Paul Butcher, Brexit Director, who provided an early assessment of legal and political implications of the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement and how they might affect businesses. During the webinar, we asked our listeners how they think the relationship between the UK and EU on trade would evolve in 6 years' time - 44% of the respondents believed that the relationship would be more restrictive on trade, 35% thought it would remain about the same and 21% saw it becoming less restrictive on trade. The webinar is now available here.
Our Brexit commentary includes:
- message from our Chair and Senior Partner James Palmer
- initial commentary on the agreement
- disputes after the end of the Brexit transition period: Where are we now?
- implications for data
- implications for aviation
- our latest View from Brussels looking in more detail at the level playing field provisions and their enforcement.
If you would like to discuss any specific points in relation to the agreement or the impact on the energy sector, please contact your regular Herbert Smith Freehills relationship contacts, Silke Goldberg, or any of our experts listed here. EU and UK guidance is available here.
To keep up to date with the latest energy developments, subscribe to our Energy Notes blog here.