Dan helps clients with some of their most serious, reputationally important issues that go beyond business as usual.
Based in London, he advises and represents corporate, institutional and individual clients on financial crime matters, with a particular focus on corruption, sanctions, fraud, regulatory investigations, insider dealing, money laundering, accounting irregularities and connected disputes.
Dan also helps clients on the emerging and growing risk area of business and human rights compliance with international and domestic law standards, including implementing policies and processes in line with the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.
Dan has significant experience working with clients on internal anti–money laundering and anti-bribery procedures, particularly in relation to the UK Bribery Act as well as on regulatory investigations, due diligence, corruption and sanctions issues.
He also advises on internal and external investigations, including those conducted by the UK SFO, FCA, Police, and HMRC. He assists clients acting as witnesses in domestic and foreign criminal proceedings, and represents clients facing prosecution.
Chambers UK 2019 describes Dan as "practical" and "hugely bright". Legal500 2019 describes him as "extremely knowledgeable" and a "known expert" who provides "timely practical advice".
Dan's experience includes advising:
- a global financial institution in one of the largest and highest profile corruption and financial services regulatory investigations, centered in Asia, advising across 8 jurisdictions and involving multiple regulators.
- a number of clients in relation to UK SFO and UK FCA LIBOR and FX investigations including in relation to the provision of evidence.
- ICBC Standard Bank plc in respect of its entry into the UK's first deferred prosecution agreement (also the first resolution of an enforcement action under section 7 of the Bribery Act) following UK and US investigations into suspected bribery in Africa.
- a syndicate of lenders on sanctions issues arising in connection with the project financing of South Stream, one of the biggest energy infrastructure projects in the world across EU and non-EU jurisdictions.
- a FTSE 100 company with global subsidiaries to produce anti-corruption procedures in accordance with the Bribery Act and leading a team to conduct external reviews of implementation of the procedures.