Catherine helps commercial developers, and promoters of energy and infrastructure projects on many high-profile and politically sensitive projects. She has particular expertise in promoting development consent orders (DCOs), habitats regulation, compulsory purchase and environmental impact assessments. She began her career advising on the New Tyne Crossing tunnel project. She has promoted DCOs for the Hinkley Point C and Sizewell C nuclear power stations, and the Aquind interconnector (between the UK and France). She acts for the operators of Gatwick and Luton airports on their expansion plans, is advising on energy from waste and solar DCO projects, and for many years was at the forefront of UK fracking, acting for Cuadrilla Resources on its applications for exploration sites in Lancashire.
Catherine in recommended by both Chambers UK and Legal 500 UK where she is recognised by clients for "possessing a great deal of practical experience across many sectors, which makes her excellent at breaking down mind-bending planning issues into manageable components" and for her "availability to bounce ideas around with us, her wisdom is really helpful and accurate and she's well respected in the business."
Catherine's experience includes advising:
- EDF Energy on the promotion of DCOs for Hinkley Point C and Sizewell C nuclear power stations
- Gatwick Airport on the promotion of a DCO authorising a new runway and related airport reconfiguration
- London Luton Airport Operator Limited in relation to the expansion of capacity at Luton airport
- Aquind Interconnector on its DCO for a £1 billion subsea electrical connection between the UK and France
- Evolution Power in relation to DCOs for solar projects in the UK
- Indaver in relation to its plans for an energy from waste DCO project at Rivenhall in Essex
- Cuadrilla Resources on planning applications, public inquiries and judicial reviews relating to shale gas exploration in Lancashire
- Bp in relation to its carbon capture and storage project in the North Sea
- Rathlin in relation to planning applications for gas production in North Yorkshire
- Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Authority on obtaining a Transport and Works Act Order for a new tunnel under the River Tyne
- Greater London Authority in relation their application to redevelop a strategic site of the Royal Docks in East London as an innovative mixed-use development
Catherine holds a Bachelor of Philosophy, Psychology and Physiology (honors) from Oxford University (Worcester College).