Vik specialises in public and private M&A, private equity and joint ventures. He has broad experience in cross-border transactions involving Asia and the UK, with particular specialisation in Indonesia, where he has been based since 2012.
Vik is described by clients as “commercially pragmatic” and “able to convince all stakeholders what is necessary”. He has an “excellent reputation for handling complex cross-border mandates”.
Vik spent 10 years in London working at Freshfields, and 5 years at Herbert Smith Freehills in Singapore, working on cross-border M&A transactions. He has also previously been seconded to Morgan Stanley in London. He graduated with a first class degree in law from Oxford University and is qualified to practice in England and Wales. Vik is fluent is Bahasa Malaysia and Bahasa Indonesia.
Vik has advised:
- GIC on its c.US$350 million forward purchase of Capital Place, an office tower in central Jakarta. This landmark real estate M&A transaction was the first ‘forward purchase’ of an entire office tower by a foreign investor in Indonesia, involving complex security and other arrangements to mitigate development risks
- CVC on its c.US$100 million investment in PT Softex Indonesia, an Indonesian consumer products company
- Bank Danamon on the sale of its 70% stake in Adira Insurance to Swiss insurance company Zurich
- Arla Foods on its joint venture with PT Indofood CBP Sukses Makmur Tbk in relation to the distribution and manufacturing of dairy products in Indonesia
- Mitsubishi Corporation on its joint operating arrangements with Tokyu Land and Lippo Group, respectively, in relation to development of residential real estate projects in Indonesia
- General Atlantic on its US$145 million pre-IPO bond and option investment in the food and beverage division of Mitra Adiperkasa, Indonesia’s leading listed retailer and food and beverage operator