Guillermo specialises in international commercial arbitration, investment treaty arbitration and cross-border litigation.
He works with clients in the avoidance and resolution of disputes under a wide range of arbitration rules and under the laws of common and civil law systems.
Guillermo's breadth of experience allows him to help clients formulate successful strategies to resolve complex cross-border disputes by focusing on delivering strong commercial outcomes including dispute avoidance, investment structuring, project delivery, settlement negotiations and enforcement strategies.
Guillermo is admitted in Australia (NSW), England & Wales and Spain. He advises clients on complex cross-border disputes across many sectors and industries concerning a wide range of trade, commercial and financial activities, with a particular focus on construction/infrastructure and energy disputes.
Guillermo’s experience across different forms of dispute resolution allows him to advise clients at every step of the dispute resolution process, providing commercially sensitive advice. This allows Guillermo to help clients with front-end dispute avoidance and risk management issues as well as resolving disputes when they arise.
Guillermo regularly speaks at conferences and seminars, and lectures at universities and master’s programs in relation to both arbitration and the construction/infrastructure and energy sectors.
Guillermo's experience includes advising:
- Leading infrastructure group on a complex dispute including international arbitration proceedings, expert determination and litigation related to a cutting edge renewable energy project in the US
- Leading energy and construction group on international arbitration proceedings related to an infrastructure project in the Republic of Kenya
- Leading infrastructure group on a complex cross-border dispute related to the investment on a global satellite operator, including international arbitration proceedings, expert determination and litigation before national courts
- The Kingdom of Spain against an international arbitration claim lodged by 25 investment funds based on the Energy Charter Treaty (regarding new Spanish legislation applicable to photovoltaic technology)
- Leading energy group on international arbitration proceedings against a state entity related to a major solar energy transaction