Soenke routinely advises multinationals on cross border transactions, joint ventures and corporate law issues, including corporate governance and compliance as well as corporate reorganisations and restructurings. Soenke's sector focus covers regulated industries (such as aviation and defence), transport & logistics, infrastructure, construction as well as telecommunications, consumer products and general industries.
Since 2009, Soenke Becker is continuously recommended for Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate law by Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, Best Lawyers (in cooperation with the Handelsblatt), IFLR1000, The Legal 500 Germany, Wirtschaftswoche and/or the JUVE Handbook. According to those sources, clients in particular value Soenke's commercial mind-set and his strength in negotiations. Ranked as one of “Germany’s Best Lawyers” for Corporate and M&A - Best Lawyers/Handelsblatt 2021.
Soenke's experience includes:
- advising Deutsche Lufthansa on various matters, including cross border transactions (buy and sell side)*
- advising ADO Properties with respect to the sale of a significant real estate portfolio to Gewobag (largest re-municipalization of private housing in Berlin so far)
- advising Telefónica on sale of yourfone*
- advising Atlas Elektronik (a ThyssenKrupp/Airbus joint venture) on various transactions (buy and sell side), formation of joint ventures and corporate matters*
- advising Hochtief on various disposals, including service solutions business, property management business and offshore business*
- advising WestLB/Portigon on divestment of non-German subsidiaries and assets, including Banco do Brazil*
- advising TVH Group on various acquisitions*
- advising GSW on capital markets and corporate matters*
- advising Gewobag on corporate matters*
- advising several US multinationals on various mid cap transactions*
- advising several Japanese investors on mid cap transactions*
- advising Bayer HealthCare on carve out of animal health business*
- advising Linde on reorganisation and following divestment of Kion group*
- advising ThyssenKrupp on divestiture of metal cutting business*
- advising Sun Capital Partners on divestiture of Hünnebeck group*
*experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Soenke Becker graduated from the Freie Universität Berlin and further studied at Tulane Law School and, as Fulbright Scholar, in Charlottesville, Virginia. He holds a Doctor of Laws (Dr. iur.) from the Freie Universität Berlin and a Master of Laws from the University of Virgnia. Sönke is admitted to practice in Germany and New York.
Before joining Herbert Smith Freehills in 2016, Soenke was a partner in a leading global law firm for nearly 10 years where he chaired the Corporate/M&A practice in the EMEA region and was further member of the global M&A steering committee.