Chinnawat is a former secretary to the director general of the Legal Counsel Department and a former senior state attorney of the Legal Counsel Department, Attorney General’s Office of Thailand.
He works with clients on administrative law, antitrust, white collar crime, telecommunications, corporate activities (with an emphasis on corporate governance), bankruptcy and rehabilitation, administrative law, litigation and arbitration and leads cases to successful outcomes.
Chinnawat works as a counsel for international clients on their disputes in Thailand and the large domestic Thai companies. He acts for a broad range of commercial and government clients including both contentious/regulatory advisory work and representing clients in litigation, alternative dispute processes and regulatory inquiries, on a variety of issues.
His expertise in dispute resolution and international arbritation is highlighted by listings in Chambers Asia Pacific (2016) and Asia Pacific Legal 500 as a leading individual for Dispute Resolution (2014-2016 ) and Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration in Thailand (2016).
Chambers Asia Pacific 2016 stated that "clients report that Chinnawat Thongpakdee provides 'in-depth legal knowledge, analytical thinking, and ability to deliver the results.' He has a broad disputes practice covering civil, criminal and commercial litigation at a high level and is thoroughly experienced at representing a range of high-profile clients."
Chinnawat's experience includes advising:
- one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies in complex petroleum tax litigation in the Thai courts, in claims worth approximately US$420 million
- one of the largest petrochemical companies in Thailand in connection with its investigation and litigation in relation to its palm oil business
- a major global packaging manufacturer and supplier on human resource strategies with particular emphasis on managing short and long term changes to workforce numbers
- one of the world’s leading professional services firms in connection with a dispute among its equity partners in Thailand
- a global hedge fund management company in a wrongful act claim against the largest retail company in Thailand in connection with its illegal mandatory tender offer (MTO)