Andrew has extensive experience and expertise advising clients on complex international cross-border transactions in the energy, power, metals and minerals, oil and gas, and LNG sectors.
Andrew has practised in London, Sydney and Tokyo, and has significant experience advising Japanese trading houses, oil and has companies and public utilities on world-scale projects in various jurisdictions. He has advised Japanese corporations for over 11 years on their M&A, project development and finance transactions globally.
Andrew is focused on delivering strong commercial outcomes and has developed close relationships with many of our key Japanese clients.
Andrew has strong relationships with many of our Japanese clients, including having spent time on secondment to a major Japanese trading corporation in Tokyo for 2 years where he advised on major power and mining transactions across the globe.
His experience includes working with sponsors and financiers on mergers and acquisitions, international joint ventures and project financings around the world including in Africa, the Middle East, Australia and South East Asia. He helps clients to manage risks and navigate commercial challenges on major projects and strategic transactions.
Andrew is ranked as a Leading Individual for Projects and Energy in Japan by Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2016, and is recognised by Who's Who Legal 2016 as a leading lawyer in the energy sector. Chambers Global, 2015 describes Andrew's strengths are that "he is very commercial and has a very strong understanding of the mining sector" and is "very good at negotiating on behalf of his clients".
Andrew is licensed to advise in Japan as a Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi and he is admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales and of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia.
Andrew's experience includes advising:
- Mitsui & Co., Ltd on the acquisition from Vale of an interest in the Moatize coal mine and Nacala infrastructure project, together with the project financing of the Nacala infrastructure project
- Marubeni Corporation on its acquisition of a 49.9% interest in the Gunfleet Sands Offshore wind power project in London, United Kingdom
- POSCO, Marubeni Corporation and STX on their acquisition of a 30% interest in, and the subsequent project financing of, the Roy Hill Iron Ore Project, located in Western Australia
- the financiers to the project financing for the INPEX’s Ichthys LNG project located at Browse Basin, Western Australia
- Mitsubishi Corporation on the development of the proposed LNG Canada Project located in British Columbia, Canada