William is the global head of the tax group. He advises on high value structured real estate transactions, property developments and property finance arrangements across the whole range of real estate asset classes. He has a particular specialism in REIT taxation, advising a number of the UK’s largest REITS across a range of issues.
He also has extensive experience across a wide range of corporate tax and structuring matters, with a particular focus on oil and gas related transactions. William is a regular contributor to tax publications and journals. He also speaks frequently at external events on a range of subjects, including in relation to real estate joint ventures and structuring more generally.
- Aberdeen Standard Life on strategic advice on the JPUT entity which co-owns the Brent Cross Shopping Centre in North London as well as ongoing portfolio related advice a wide range of real estate disposals and lettings
- Apache on its acquisition of Exxon Mobil North Sea Limited's North Sea assets for $1.75 billion
- Brookfield Property Partners on the structured £560 million acquisition and financing of CityPoint Tower and the sale of One London Wall Place to AGC
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) on its restructuring and part-disposal of The Nova Estate in London, formerly known as Victoria Circle, in a 50:50 joint venture with Land Securities. The Project is one of the largest redevelopments in London and has a gross development value in excess of £900m
- Capital and Counties in relation to the acquisition of a minority stake of 26.3% in Shaftesbury plc across two tranches, for a net consideration of approximately £436 million.
- Hammerson Plc on their November 2020 rights issue and simultaneous disposal of a 50% interest in VIA to APG
- The British Land Company on all tax aspects of the Canada Water Masterplan, involving the redevelopment of a 53-acre site in Rotherhithe, which will create a new town centre for London
- Unite Group's 2019 acquisition of Liberty Living from CPPIB for £1.4bn