Peter's practice covers the entire spectrum of commercial litigation. He serves clients of all backgrounds ranging from financial institutions, funds, professional firms to private clients. Peter routinely handles litigation involving banks and financial institutions (e.g. mis-selling litigation, credit enforcement, trade financing disputes and fraud claims). Peter also advises shareholders and directors, high-net-worth individuals and mental health committees.
A particular focus of Peter's practice is insolvency disputes. He has advised officeholders, pursued and defended claims commenced by or against them. Peter has also advised clients involved in debt restructurings, most of them with a cross-border element.
Peter spent six months on secondment to the APAC & MENA Litigation and Investigations team at Credit Suisse, where he handled regulatory requests, led internal investigations and managed civil litigation across various Asia Pacific jurisdictions, working with internal stakeholders and external counsel.
Peter's recent experience includes:
- successfully defending DBS in a US$185-million action brought by the liquidators of a former customer, Galleria (Hong Kong) Limited, for knowing receipt, dishonest assistance and fraudulent trading. Peter acted for DBS throughout, from the pre-action stage to a successfully 15-day trial in the Hong Kong Court of First of Instance, and successfully defended the bank in the ensuing appeals in the Court of Appeal.
- advising/acting for members of the prominent Lo Family on Hong Kong High Court proceedings relating to the family trust, where our firm secured a series of victories, including a successfully strike-out of a substantial part of the counterparty's claim.
- defending a few leading Chinese and Swiss private banks against allegations of unauthorised trading and mis-selling.
- defending a major Chinese state-owned retail bank in a claim commenced by a customer in relation to a letter of no consent (LNC) issued by the Hong Kong Police. This is believed to be one of the first claims commenced by a customer against a bank in the wake of the Hong Kong Court of First Instance's judgement in Tam Sze Leung & Ors v Commissioner of Police  HKCFI 3118.
- a leading Chinese state-owned financial services company in relation to pre-action and strategic advice on shareholder's rights and the share redemption process arising out of its pre-IPO investment of US$50 million into a fibre network platform company based in Southeast Asia, the company's failure to enter a qualified IPO, and its rights and obligations under a proposed SPAC-listing.
- advising and providing strategic assistance to an ultra-high-net-wealth Chinese investor in the dismissal and staying of liquidations of BVI and Cayman shareholding companies of a Chinese coffeehouse chain, and in resisting applications brought by the liquidators for sanction of a pre-existing agreement to sell the equity in the coffeehouse chain.
- advising various major Chinese banks (both stated-owned and privately-owned) on creditor rights, enforcement and insolvency matters.
- advising SpeedCast on the Hong Kong aspects of their high-profile cross-border restructuring and recapitalisation.
- advising liquidators of Lehman Brothers Asia entities for a reduction in the ad valorem fees payable to the Hong Kong Official Receiver.
- advising/acting for directors and shareholders HKEx listcos, NASDAQ listcos and Hong Kong private companies in relation to directors' duties and/or disputes with other shareholders/directors, including defending a Hong Kong High Court action for dishonest assistance and conspiracy to defraud, as part of a complex and long-running boardroom dispute.
- advising mental health committees appointed under Part II of the Mental Health Ordinance, including acting in contested statutory will proceedings in the Hong Kong High Court.
- Key lawyer, Dispute Resolution: Litigation, Hong Kong
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023
- Key lawyer, Dispute Resolution: Litigation: Foreign Firms, China
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023
- Key lawyer, Restructuring and Insolvency, Hong Kong
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021, 2022, 2023
- Key lawyer, Private Client (Tax, Trusts, Wealth Management And Contentious Probate), Hong Kong
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021
- "Senior associate Peter Ng is also noted for his expertise in a range of commercial disputes."
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 (Litigation: foreign firms in China)
- "Peter Ng demonstrates solid legal knowledge in insolvency practice, gives prudent but practical advice."
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 (Restructuring and Insolvency)
Peter was admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong in 2015. Prior to that, he trained with Herbert Smith Freehills and was seconded to the firm's Beijing and London offices. Peter read law at the University of Hong Kong.
Peter speaks fluent English, Cantonese and Mandarin.