Peter advises clients across a broad range of sectors, including financial services, telecommunications, government, consumer, healthcare, infrastructure and energy.
He has significant experience advising on complex projects, often in highly regulated environments, in relation to multi-jurisdictional technology initiatives and outsourcings, M&A acquisitions/disposals, large scale supply/capacity arrangements, IT separation requirements, systems integration projects, network acquisition/roll-outs, strategic developments and new technologies.
Peter has extensive experience advising clients on technology and information projects, and works closely with clients on designing and implementing contractual frameworks that focus on opportunity realisation and risk minimisation.
His work often requires navigating regulatory requirements, in particular those arising from changes to business processes, the impact of information regulation such as privacy and cyber security/resilience and the effects of sector-specific regulatory requirements which apply to information processing and technology deployment.
Peter's experience includes:*
- advising one of Australia’s leading insurance companies on 5 separate ITO and BPO transactions, involving a best of breed reorganisation of its internal capabilities over a 24 month period
- advising a leading Bank on the renegotiation of its IT infrastructure outsourcing agreement, including transformation to cloud and service-based delivery models
- advising clients on data breaches and data vulnerability situations including advising a website publisher on the data breach impacts of significant information exfiltration, advising on the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s (OAIC's) own motion joint investigation with the Canadian Privacy Commissioner and also advising and settling claims locally in connection with the data breach
- advising a corporate venture arm on various aspects arising from its investments in disruptors and developing alternative risk mitigation and risk transfer models for expedited deal closure
- advising on a broad range of sourcing arrangements (both single vendor and multiple, "best-of-breed") for companies in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia. This has also involved advising corporations, agencies and government-owned entities on aspects relating to various commercial projects with respect to tendering processes and probity issues
- advising financial services clients such as two of Australia’s leading top four banks, leading investment banks, and telecommunications companies, on ICT and BPO outsourcing and offshoring initiatives and systems integration projects across the lifecycle from acquisition, operation, problem management and exit
- advising clients on regulatory issues relating to the use of data and information, including use by third party service providers and risk allocation regimes. This has included advising on privacy requirements and policies, spam, data protection and cyber-security, including on a cross-border basis
- advising telecommunications companies on a range of network related projects and services engagements, such as:
- on network element acquisition and deployment projects as well as access and associated services involving installation and maintenance services
- on network acquisition and support agreements
- on a broad range of network projects and information technology service initiatives
- advising Government on a number of IT acquisitions and implementation projects, such as the implementation of a whole-of-state, whole-of-site intensive care patient clinical information system (including advice with respect to privacy implications)
University of Otago, New Zealand, Bachelor of Laws (Hons), 1994.
Peter is also admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand.
*Experience was gained at a previous firm.