Emma is a specialist in intellectual property advice and dispute resolution. Emma advises clients in all areas of IP and technology, including patents, trade marks, copyright, consumer law and confidential information. Emma has particular expertise in the life sciences sector, with her legal qualifications complemented by a degree in Biomedical Science.
Her litigious experience includes multi-jurisdictional patent disputes, international arbitrations and commercial damages disputes. This experience extends to industries including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices, software, and consumer products.
Emma also has considerable experience advising clients on regulatory issues relating to pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
Emma’s experience includes representing:
- Gilead in patent infringement proceedings relating to a blockbuster HIV treatment
- Boehringer Ingelheim in patent infringement and invalidity proceedings relating to threatened generic launch of inhalable formulations for use in the treatment of COPD (an area in which Boehringer is a global leader)
- an international pharmaceutical company in an international arbitration relating to IP and patent rights over an IV antibiotic treatment arising from a collaboration agreement
- an international originator biotechnology company in relation to the litigious strategy for future biosimilar launch
- a nuclear medicine company in relation to IP rights in products for the imaging and treatment of cancer.
- Tibra Trading in litigation over whether Tibra’s algorithmic trading software had been developed by ex-employees of Optiver in a manner which infringed Optiver’s IP
- a technology company on IP rights and confidential information in relation to AI-enabled software.
Emma completed her Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash University. Emma also has a Masters of Commercial Law from Melbourne University.
She is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Victoria, the Federal Court of Australia and the High Court of Australia.
Emma is recognised by Legal 500 as a Rising Star for Intellectual Property and by Chambers in Life Sciences as Up & Coming. She is consistently recognised in Doyle’s Guide as a Rising Star and has been recognised as a ‘Best Lawyer’ for Intellectual Property (2021, 2022) and Alternative Dispute Resolution (2022).