Emma is a specialist in intellectual property advice and dispute resolution. Emma advises clients in all areas of IP and technology, including patents, trade marks, copyright, consumer law and confidential information. Emma has particular expertise in the life sciences sector, with her legal qualifications complemented by a degree in Biomedical Science.
Emma’s practice also involves regularly advising clients on regulatory issues relating to pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
Her litigious experience includes multi-jurisdictional patent disputes, international arbitrations and commercial damages disputes. This experience extends to industries including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices, software, and consumer products.
Emma also has extensive experience in consumer law and trade mark matters, and regularly advises clients on advertising, marketing campaigns and disputes.
Emma’s experience includes representing:
- multiple global pharmaceutical companies in complex patent infringement and invalidity disputes including Gilead (in relation to a blockbuster HIV treatment), Biogen (in relation to a blockbuster MS treatment) and Boehringer Ingelheim (in relation to an inhalable formulation for the treatment of COPD)
- an international pharmaceutical company in an international arbitration relating to IP and patent rights over an IV antibiotic treatment arising from a collaboration agreement
- an international originator biotechnology company in relation to the litigious strategy for future biosimilar launch
- a nuclear medicine company in relation to IP rights in products for the imaging and treatment of cancer.
- Tibra Trading in litigation related to Tibra’s algorithmic trading software, concerning copyright infringement and confidential information
- a technology company on IP rights and confidential information in relation to AI-enabled software.
- a global medical devices company in relation to direct to consumer products, concerning misleading and deceptive conduct and therapeutic goods advertising regulations
Emma completed her Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash University. Emma also has a Masters of Commercial Law from Melbourne University.
She is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Victoria, the Federal Court of Australia and the High Court of Australia.
Emma is recognised by Legal 500 as a Rising Star for Intellectual Property and by Chambers in Life Sciences as Up & Coming. She is recognised in Doyle’s Guide as a Recommended Contentious Intellectual Property Practitioner (2022), as a Notable Practitioner by IP Stars and has been recognised as a ‘Best Lawyer’ for Intellectual Property (2021, 2022) and Alternative Dispute Resolution (2022).