At the helm of the firm’s global market-leading disputes practice (Joint-Managing Partner, global Disputes Resolution and Australian head of disputes) Anna Sutherland is indisputably recognised by clients and peers alike as one of the most distinguished senior litigators and crisis management specialists in Australia.
Anna has a breadth of experience advising on significant contentious and non-contentious issues, including regulatory investigations, internal company investigations, board advisory and directors’ duties matters, anti-bribery and corruption issues, securities market issues, joint venture disputes, corporate trustee disputes and class actions. She works with clients across a range of industries and has particular experience in the securities market, financial services, energy and resources, property and telecommunications sectors.
Her extensive expertise in complex and high- profile corporate and regulatory advisory work, internal investigations and risk management, coupled with her responsiveness, strategic thinking and empathy makes her the obvious choice for some of the largest corporations in Australia and abroad.
Recent matters that Anna has acted and advised on include:
- BHP on strategic matters and two class actions arising from the Samarco Dam failure
- AMP on the class actions proceedings stemming from admissions during the Banking Royal Commission
- A major financial institution on recovery of investor funds from a failed managed investment scheme
- A corporate trustee in its defence in the Supreme Court of New South Wales on breach of trust and statutory duties allegations
- A corporate superannuation trustee on breach of duties allegations
Anna is consistently recognised as a ‘very experienced’ practitioner in the disputes field, reflective of her market reputation as one of the country’s Best Lawyers in the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution categories.
Anna is also distinguished as a leading individual in Legal 500 Dispute Resolution and in Chambers for both Anti-Bribery & Corruption and Dispute Resolution. Chambers quoting one client who emphasised her ‘excellent judgment and extremely client-focused approach,’ and another who added that ‘she always feels like a safe set of hands.’