Evgeny advises both international and domestic clients on all aspects of cross-border M&A transactions, and joint ventures. His experience includes advising in connection with major investments to Russia, creating and restructuring JVs between Russian companies and their international business partners both in Russia and abroad. He has particular expertise in the energy sector as well as other areas including automotive, TMT and pharma.
Aside from his corporate/M&A experience, Evgeny also leads the completion and regulatory offering in our Moscow office. His regulatory expertise includes advising major international investors and Russian companies on foreign direct investments, antitrust and merger control, industry-specific regulation, data protection and many other areas.
Evgeny has been practising law since 2005. Transactions on which he has worked include the following:
- Zarubezhneft on the acquisition from London-based Premier Oil of an interest in a production sharing contract for the development of the Tuna block in offshore Indonesia and a corresponding interest in a joint operating agreement between the investors
- Inchcape, on the sale of Toyota/Lexus and Audi car dealerships to Klyuchavto
- Alstom on the merger of CJSC Transmashholding (the largest manufacturer of trains and rail equipment in Russia) and LocoTech-Service LLC (a major producer of parts for the railway industry, provider of maintenance and modernisation services, and leaser of trains) into a combined business of which Alstom holds 20%. The deal was named "Deal of the Year" in Russia by CEE Legal Matters 2018
- Bonum Capital (Cyprus) Limited on the acquisition and subsequent sale of approximately 86% of shares in Vozrozhdenie Bank. The deal was awarded "European Corporate Deal of the Year" by The Lawyer 2019
- Gazprom on the sale of a stake in Blocks 4 and 5 of the Achimov formations in the Urengoy oil, gas and condensate field to OMV
- Gazprom on the sale of its stake in Latvian gas distribution company Conexus Baltic Grid and on the sale of assets in Estonia
- Mitsubishi Corporation on the indirect consolidation of 100% in MC Bank Rus which, amongst other things, provides auto finance to individuals under the Mitsubishi Motors Finance program
- A major oil company on the acquisition of 10% in Arctic LNG 2 from Novatek, the largest independent natural gas producer in Russia
- A major gas company, on the acquisition of a stake in Verkhneconskneftegaz (VCNG), an oil producing subsidiary of Rosneft
- A major investor on the acquisition of a minority stake in in the South Tambeyskoye gas field project through the acquisition of shares in Yamal LNG; and on the acquisition of a 10% stake in major Russian petrochemical company Sibur
- Named "Rising star partner" for M&A in Russia – IFLR1000 2021
- "We were in a difficult situation and he got the best results" Chambers Europe (2021)
- "Next generation partner" in Corporate/M&A – Legal 500 EMEA (2021)
- Ranked by Best Lawyers in M&A (2022) and in Corporate Law (2021, 2022)
- Band 1 in Corporate/ M&A – Pravo.ru (2021)
- Band 1 in Energy and Natural Resources – Pravo.ru (2021)
- Ranked "Next generation lawyer" in Energy and Natural Resources – Legal 500 EMEA (2017)
- Ranked "Up and coming" in Competition/Antitrust – Chambers Europe (2021)
- Ranked by Best Lawyers in Competition/Antitrust Law (2021, 2022) and in Regulatory (2016, 2018 – 2022)
He frequently writes articles on a variety of corporate/M&A and regulatory topics.
His recent publications include:
- Green Energy Update from Russia - CEE Legal Matters
- The Pharmaceutical Intellectual Property and Competition Law Review: Russia Chapter
- Joint Ventures 2020, Russia – Getting the deal through, 2020
- Joint Ventures 2019, Russia – Getting the deal through, 2019
- Joint Ventures 2018, Russia – Getting the deal through, 2018
Evgeny holds a Master of Laws degree (cum laude) from the Moscow State Institute for International Relations (MGIMO) and a Candidate of Sciences degree (PhD equivalent) from the same university. He also studied English contract law at the London Metropolitan University and EU law at the College of Europe. Before joining HSF in 2008 he worked a number of years at another international law firm.
Evgeny is also a member of the Antitrust Experts Association, a leading Russian hub of competition lawyers
Evgeny speaks Russian (native), English (fluent), and French (fluent).