Mark heads the firm's technology, media and telecoms team in Asia and is ranked standalone band 1 in Chambers Asia Pacific 2022 in this area.
He has assisted clients on corporate transactions, innovative and strategic commercial arrangements and complex regulation, data and intellectual property matters, across Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East and Africa.
Mark leads an extremely strong team, also ranked standalone band 1 in Chambers Asia Pacific 2022, with a large bench of excellent lawyers who garner praise for their outstanding client service.
Mark's experience includes advising:
- Standard Chartered Bank on its US$3 billion IT transformation programme, on the launch of a new digital/virtual bank, and on the establishment of the Cyber Defence Alliance joint venture with Barclays, Santander, Deutsche Bank and Lloyds
- SoftBank on its equity funding round investments into Grab, including as part of a US$2.5 billion round awarded Best Singapore Deal (all sectors) at the FinanceAsia Achievement Awards 2017, on its joint venture with Bharti focused on the mobile internet ecosystem (including its joint venture with Yahoo! and equity funding round), on its equity funding round investments into Ola Cabs and on its participation in an equity fundraising round in Hike messenger
- Apple on its US$1 billion investment in a new data centre in China, on its strategic acquisition of PowerbyProxi, a leading wireless charging technology company, on the launch of Apple Pay and on aspects of its proposed $400 million acquisition of Shazam, a music identification service
- Astro, a leading integrated pay-TV, radio, publications and digital media consumer entertainment group, on the disposal of its stake in AETN All Asia Networks, a joint venture with A+E Networks to launch and operate branded channels and services including HISTORY, Crime & Investigation Network and bio channel, and on its joint venture with Turner Broadcasting involving Warner TV including co-ownership and joint production of Asian content for Warner TV
- Vodafone’s US$11 billion investment into Vodafone India and related joint venture and put and call options (India’s largest inbound M&A at the time), the US$5 billion sale of interests in Vodafone India to Vodafone, and on one of the world's largest towercos, Indus Towers, a joint venture between Vodafone India, Bharti Airtel and Idea Cellular
Mark is qualified in the United Kingdom and Australia and is a registered foreign lawyer in Singapore.
22nd February 2023
High adoption of emerging technologies, and a regulatory landscape struggling to keep up.