Hannah advises clients and colleagues globally on complex issues relating to arbitration, dispute resolution, enforcement of awards and judgments, and public international law.
Hannah has acted as counsel in ad hoc commercial arbitrations and proceedings under the auspices of major arbitral institutions. She has advised on a number of investment treaty arbitration matters and issues, including advising clients on investment structuring, and has acted as counsel on a number of investment treaty claims. She also has experience in advising on a range of other matters of public international law, including state immunity and immunity of international organisations.
Hannah is a solicitor advocate.
Hannah is listed in Legal 500 as a Rising Star for International Arbitration and for Public International Law.
She regularly speaks and publishes on arbitration and public international law related issues and developments. She is a co-author of chapters on Arbitration, ADR and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments in Blackstone's Civil Practice (pub. OUP) and has written on arbitrators' duties in Arbitration in England: 2030 Vision (forthcoming, pub. Wolters Kluwer).
Hannah is a member of the steering committee for our pro bono international development project, Fair Deal Sierra Leone. Her work as part of this project has included delivering capacity building training on arbitration to the judiciary and private practitioners in Freetown, providing legislative drafting support to the Sierra Leone Law Reform Commission, supporting Sierra Leone with its accession to the New York Convention 1958, and working with the Sierra Leone Investment and Export Promotion Agency.
Hannah is a trustee of The International Lawyers Project, a leading international charitable organisation advancing economic justice and the rule of law through provision of pro bono legal expertise to civil society, parliaments and communities.
'Senior associate Hannah Ambrose is a seriously talented lawyer and her knowledge of arbitration law is first class'. Legal 500 UK 2020, International Arbitration
Hannah's experience includes advising:
Investment Treaty Arbitration and Public International Law
- Nord Stream 2 in its claim against the EU under the Energy Charter Treaty
- Vedanta Resources PLC on a claim against India under the UK-India Bilateral Investment Treaty arising from the imposition of retroactive tax
- a west African state on a threatened investment treaty claim
- a social outcomes investor on state immunity, international organisation immunity, dispute resolution and governing law regarding proposed investments in Africa
- a pharmaceutical company on investment protection in the context of compulsory licencing
- on immunity issues in relation to the financing of a mining development in West Africa
- on international law issues in relation to the development of a gas field that straddles an international boundary
- a number of utility companies and infrastructure funds on investor-State arbitration and investment structuring in a scenario of future nationalisation, including questions as to availability and scope of treaty protections and related quantum issues
- on issues relating to arbitration and the immunity of international organisations in connection with a gas project in West Africa
- various clients on the impact of the EU Blocking Statute
- a pharmaceutical company in an ICC arbitration in connection with the termination of a supply and distribution agreement in the Middle East
- a consumer goods company in a post M&A dispute under the ICC Rules
- an energy company in a dispute under the LCIA-MIAC Rules in relation to a power purchase agreement
- a multinational technologies company in relation to a threatened arbitration under the SCC Rules
- a telecoms company in a post M&A dispute under the LCIA Rules
- a Russian bank in relation to a potential arbitration under the SCC Rules
- a pharmaceutical company in connection with the termination of a distribution agreement
Before joining the firm in 2012, Hannah was a Senior Associate in the international arbitration practice of another global firm.