Justin is the firm's CEO, overseeing its client, people, practices and growth strategies.
He works closely with the firm's largest clients, both in his personal practice role and as a regional and global business leader, and leads the firm's 5,000-plus team of talented people.
During his 23-year career with Herbert Smith Freehills, Justin has overseen the growth of many successful businesses, including the firm's market-leading Disputes practice and rapid expansion in Asia.
A thought leader and skilled practitioner in arbitration and dispute resolution, Justin has appeared before tribunals around the world and regularly sits as arbitrator.
The founder of the firm's first LGBT+ network in 2007, Justin is a strong advocate and active supporter of diversity and inclusion in the firm and the wider community.
He currently chairs the firm's Global Executive and is Executive Sponsor of IRIS, the firm's global LGBT+ network.
Justin's legal experience includes:
- representing the Government of Korea on the first investment treaty arbitration under the US-Korea Free Trade Agreement (Jin Hae Seo v. Republic of Korea)
- advising the Government of Malaysia on a US$1.2 billion arbitration against the Republic of Singapore concerning the interpretation of a bilateral treaty
- advising Grand Pacific Holdings Limited on its high-profile and successful appeal against a decision by the Hong Kong Court of First Instance to set aside an ICC arbitral award in its favour
His professional, business and community credentials include:
- Ranked in the FT/OUTstanding LGBT+ Executive Role Model Lists rankings every year since 2014
- Honorary Fellow, Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration
- Member, ICC Governing Body on Dispute Resolution Services
- Co-chair, Global Steering Committee of of the Arbitration Pledge, which seeks to increase, on an equal opportunity basis, the number of women appointed as arbitrators to achieve fairer representation
- Oversaw the firm's Asia region achieve its 30% target for women partners, and sponsored the launch of its Asia Multicultural Network
Justin joined Herbert Smith Freehills in 1998 and became a partner in 2007.
He led the firm's Global Disputes practice and its Asia region from 2014 to 2020 and its US region from 2019 to 2020.
A native of Edinburgh, Scotland, Justin graduated with a bachelor's degree in law from the University of Aberdeen in 1996.
He is admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong and as a solicitor advocate in England.