Scott specialises in monetising real estate assets. He has over 20 years' experience, ten years of which come from being based in the Middle East. Scott has advised on some of the region's leading real estate transactions, particularly mixed use projects in many frontier and emerging markets including developments with signiﬁcant retail, commercial, industrial and hotel components.
Scott has considerable experience in the UAE and Saudi Arabia as well as emerging markets such as several countries across Africa, the Philippines, Maldives, Seychelles and Vietnam. He has very strong negotiation and drafting skills. Some quotes from Scott's clients include:
"…commercially focused, results driven and protecting the legal positions that mattered."
"He is smart, pragmatic, client focused and commercially astute."
Scott's experience includes advising:
- various owners and investors, advising, drafting and negotiating key commercial and legal arrangements for the sale and leaseback of several purpose built industrial complexes in Dubai including properties located in JAFZA, Dubai South and Dubai Investment Park
- a Saudi Arabian giga-project on all aspects of hotel and other real estate developments including preparing a comprehensive suite of templates from letters of intent and term sheets to the definitive transactional documents and negotiating and concluding arrangements with third party operators, franchisors, developers and investors
- a Saudi Arabian government agency advising on the re-generation of a signiﬁcant heritage precinct in Riyadh
- The Address Hotels & Resort in relation to negotiating the development and management arrangements for a mixed use hotel of 200 keys and a 1,000 apartment residential property in Dubai as well as various other projects for Vida Hotels and Resorts and for Rove Hotels
- Gulf Capital PJSC, in connection with the development of retail mall in excess of 2 million square feet, including 'overbuild' issues and drafting complex musataha and usufruct arrangements including direct agreements with ﬁnanciers and preparing standard documentation for the pre-letting
- an international airport in overseeing an extensive international procurement process for a 700,000 m², 65 gate airport terminal
- Standard Chartered Bank for the development and leasing of purpose built premises in the Republic of Zambia and in Uganda; comprising commercial head oﬃces and retail banking chambers and related amenities
- a government client in a joint venture with two developers for a project over a 122 ha site comprising town centre, educational and community facilities and home to 4500 residents including negotiating and documenting arrangements with infrastructure providers for power, water and transport corridors
Prior to being a lawyer, Scott was a financier for 16 years.