Doctor in Law, Laurence has over 15 years of experience both in international commercial arbitration and in investment arbitrations (she has acted as counsel, for example in ICC, UNCITRAL, CIRDI, AFA, and SCC arbitrations as well as ad hoc arbitrations). More specifically, she often advises on energy, construction, corporate and distribution arbitrations. She advises States and investors regarding investment arbitrations.
Laurence also acts as an arbitrator and appears before French Courts, both in international private law disputes and in cases arising from arbitration (i.e. jurisdictional issues, enforcement proceedings, and proceedings aiming to set aside arbitral awards).
Laurence's experience includes advising:
- a Spanish construction company in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Algeria under the Spain/Algeria BIT concerning a FET case in relation with social housing in Algeria (ICSID Case Number ARB/07/01)
- a leading West-African oil and gas company in 2 arbitrations involving the distribution of its products in the OHADA zone and a dispute between shareholders of a joint venture company from an OHADA country (ICC arbitration)
- a south African company against a state owned company in a corporate dispute in relation with a state-owned company in the mining industry from an OHADA country (ICC arbitration)
- a French investor in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Hungary under the French/Hungary BIT concerning an expropriation (ICSID Case Number ARB/13/35)
- a leading Algerian electricity and gas company in an dispute in relation the construction to of a photovoltaic plant following the Algerian renewal energy programme (ICC arbitration)
- a Spanish leader in the construction business in an dispute against an Algerian Company in relation to construction matters in Algeria (ICC arbitration)
"Laurence Franc-Menget is also very active"
Legal 500 Paris 2019
"Arbitration practitioners Future Leaders under 45"
"Laurence Franc-Menget also scores very highly".
Who's Who Legal 2017 and Who's Who Legal 2018
"Practitioners with substantial Algerian experience include […] Laurence Franc-Menget, who ‘deals easily with a heavy workload and has great legal knowledge’"
Legal 500 EMEA 2015 (Algeria – Foreign firms)
"Laurence Franc-Menget qui est appréciée pour ‘sa grande capacité de travail et son perfectionnisme’."
Legal 500 Paris 2014-2015
Laurence qualified as a French Avocat in 2002. She was also a Visiting Scholar at Columbia University law School (1998-1999), and regularly teaches international arbitration at universities or school bar. She regularly publishes articles and case comment on international arbitration.