Peter advises major corporate and government clients on large and complex matters that demand a creative, strategic and commercial approach to environment and planning issues.
He assists clients with obtaining all planning, environment and regulatory approvals for major energy, resource, infrastructure and urban development projects by providing strategic and integrated land access and approvals advice. He also provides advice and representation in relation to the remediation and development of contaminated land and has advised on some of Australia’s most complex and high-profile contaminated sites.
Peter also advises clients on planning law, pollution, heritage, and biodiversity issues, as well as environmental incident response, crisis management, regulatory investigations and defence of environmental prosecutions. He conducts specialist litigation, including environment and planning, real estate, compulsory acquisition and valuation disputes.
Peter has been consistently recognised as one of Australia’s leading environment and planning lawyers by Best Lawyers (2008 – 2015), Global Counsel 3000, Who’s Who Legal and Chambers Global. Peter has also been endorsed by PLC Which Lawyer, Who’s Who Legal and Asia Pacific Legal 500.
He is ranked as a "Band 1" lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2015, as a lawyer who is highly regarded for his wide-ranging expertise, which embraces environmental impact assessments, land contamination matters and environment and planning-related dispute resolution, and who “brings a commercial focus and thinks outside the box."
Peter's experience includes advising:
- AGL Energy on land access and approvals in relation to the Nyngan Solar Plant, the Broken Hill Solar Plant (both part of the Commonwealth Solar Flagships Program) and the Silverton Wind Farm
- Global mining client in relation to the process for obtaining key state approvals and successfully defending a Land and Environment Court challenge to a Part 3A project
- Global mining client in relation to a Hunter Valley mine, including advice on the process for obtaining key state approvals, compliance with conditions of environmental approvals, advice in relation to a dust and blasting incident, advising on an EPA investigation; and defending an EPA environmental prosecution
- Transport for NSW in relation to a full suite of strategic environment, planning, incident response (including training), native title, Aboriginal cultural heritage, land access and acquisition advice to Transport for NSW (and its predecessors) since 2003 on major rail projects
- Health Infrastructure: strategic advice to Health Infrastructure (a division of the Health Administration Corporation) on the planning and environmental issues associated with its proposed major hospital developments at Westmead, Maitland, Gosford, St George and Northern Beaches from 2014 to present
Peter holds a Bachelor of Arts (University of Sydney) 1981, Diploma of Education (University of Sydney) 1985 and Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (University of Sydney) 1990. He is admitted to practise in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, the Australian Capital Territory, Western Australia and the High Court of Australia.