Nicolás has helped clients with their deals for more than 30 years, with a particular focus on M&A, joint ventures and private equity issues. He also has experience in restructuring and insolvency work. He has been a member of the firm’s Global Council from july 2014 to april 2020.
He works with international clients such as Telefónica, Oaktree Capital Management, Antin Infrastructure Partners, Fortress Investment Group, Magnum Industrial Partners and Guggenheim Partners.
Nicolás helps Spanish and international clients on issues in Spain as well as with their cross-border transactions. Nicolás speaks Spanish and English.
Nicolás’ experience includes advising:
- Telefónica on the potential €13.5 million disposal of O2 to Hutchinson Whampoa (failed)
- A number of matters for Oaktree Capital Management on several projects as;
- on the acquisition a mortgage loan portfolio comprising Spanish and Portuguese commercial real estate properties held by FMS Wertmanagement (Project Gaudí)
- on the proposed acquisition of Grupo Habitat.
- Magnum Industrial Partners
- on the acquisition of the Orliman Group from Riverside and the minority shareholders and its subsequent disposal to Cinfa
- on the sale of the Geriatros group to PAI Partners
- on the acquisition of Centro Médico Teknon, a leading hospital in the Spanish healthcare private sector and its subsequent sale to Grupo Quirón
- on the acquisition of Iberchem, a group of companies involved in the production of fragances and flavours, and on its refinancing and subsequent disposal to Eurazeo
- Bravofly on its purchase of Rumbo, a Spanish company active in the online travel business.
- Guggenheim Partners
- on the intended acquisition of a significant stake in FCC Energía (failed)
- on the potential acquisition of Novagalicia Banco (failed)
- RREEF Infrastructure and Antin Infrastructure Partners on the acquisition of a 90% equity interest in Andasol-1 SA and Andasol -2 SA and its subsequent disposal to Centrica
- Antin Infrastructure Partners on the disposal of Axión through an auction process to AMP Capital
- Santander Private equity on the disposal of a fund of funds of its entire portfolio
- Fortress on the sale of Lico Division to Incus Capital
Publications and Accolades
His expertise is highlighted by listings in Chambers and Partners and Legal 500 for Corporate/M&A since 2013 and in private equity and tax, since 2012. In addition, he is ranked in Best Lawyers for Corporate/M&A Law, Investment Funds and Tax Law since 2012.
Clients appreciate Nicolás’s broad corporate and private equity expertise, as well as his ability to find creative ways around the various hurdles that arise during deals. They also value his “leadership from a technical perspective” and the way he aligns with them, pushing them forward and ensuring all opportunities are identified.
Nicolás has lectured on private equity at the business school IE Instituto de Empresa in Madrid and he has published articles in specialized magazines on different corporate matters.