Lewis is sought after by companies across Asia to advise on their largest outbound investments into existing projects and on the development of major new projects. Currently based in Tokyo, he established and led our Seoul office in 2013, and before that worked in Singapore, London, Hong Kong and Perth, giving him truly global experience of the energy and natural resources sectors.
He is recognised in all of the major legal directories as a leading expert in energy and natural resources transactions. Chambers Global ranks him in Band 1 for energy and natural resources and describes him as an "excellent energy lawyer" for whom sources have "great admiration".
Lewis' experience includes advising:
- KOGAS on the Rovuma Basin LNG and upstream gas project in Mozambique, including the multi-party unitisation arrangements for the joint development of the giant gas fields straddling the Area 1 and Area 4 blocks (involving Eni, Anadarko, CNPC, Mitsui, PTTEP, GALP and other companies) and on all aspects of its 10% interest in the proposed Coral floating LNG project, including the JV arrangements with Eni, CNPC and GALP (ongoing)
- Mitsubishi on the structuring and financing of its 15% interest in the Canada LNG project (ongoing)
- PTTEP on its US$1 billion acquisition of oil and gas assets in Thailand from Hess Corporation and on its joint ventures with PT Pertamina (the national oil company of Indonesia) to acquire a US$650 million portfolio of Indonesia oil and gas assets from Hess Corporation (2014)
- Acciona Energia on the divestment of the Yeong Yang wind farm in South Korea to Macquarie Korea Opportunity Fund for KRW160 billion (approximately US$150 million) (2013)
- BG Group on the divestment of its power interests in the Philippines to First Gen (2012) and its power interests in Malaysia to Genting Power and Worldwide Holdings (2011)
Lewis is licensed to advise in Japan as a Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi. He holds practising certificates in England & Wales as well as Western Australia. He holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and a Bachelor of Environmental Science (Hons) from the University of Western Australia.