Clément is used to handling complex litigation situations with high financial and/or reputational risks and all types of proceedings (proceedings on the merits, emergency/interlocutory actions, court-supervised expert investigations, mediation).
He acts for a wide variety of French and international clients. His practice encompasses a number of industry sectors such as banking, energy, chemicals, consumer products, construction, audit. He is regularly involved in disputes over large investments, enforcement of guarantees, post M&A transactions, product liability, insolvency and enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards.
He appears and advocates cases before all French civil and commercial courts as well as the courts of Francophone Africa countries.
Clément's experience includes advising:
- an international bank in proceedings related to the distribution of dividends in breach of a pledge agreement in a pan-European insolvency context
- an international bank in relation to civil and regulatory aspects of claims by investors defrauded by third parties
- an investment fund in an action brought to obtain a price supplement provided for in a share purchase agreement
- a leading international chemicals company in a guarantee claim brought for environmental liability further to a transfer of assets
- a leading energy company further to the termination of a long-term gas supply agreement
- "Peers describe Clément Dupoirier at Herbert Smith Freehills as “an excellent lawyer” who provides “very clear advice”, with one source commending him as “someone I really trust”. He is particularly well known for his work on financial litigation, advising international banks and investors before French courts and in francophone African jurisdictions. Ranked amongst 'most highly regarded' in Europe. Who's Who Legal 2018 (Future Leaders)
- "He is "an excellent litigator. His areas of practice span a range of civil and commercial matters, […] and he is notably active in cross-border issues". Chambers Global 2018 - Litigation Elite - France
- "The ‘very eloquent’ Clément Dupoirier, who is praised for his ‘strategic vision" Legal 500 EMEA 2017
- "Clément Dupoirier is ‘extremely responsive, very focused on client service, has good experience of the French and West African legal systems’, and follows ‘an approach that is both scientific and practical’" Legal 500 EMEA 2017
- "Interviewees highlight Clément Dupoirier's "strong analytical competences and pragmatic approach, which are very valuable to ensure a good follow-up of the case and defend our interests." Chambers Europe 2017
Clément is a graduate from the University of Paris II law school and holds a Master of Laws in International Commercial Law from King’s College, London. He is a member of the Paris bar.